Chapter 4

Camila's P.O.V

I was stumped

I was stumped. A real mermaid. I mean, of course you see them in movies and books, but to actually see one in real life was insane. I wasn't thinking straight. (Well I've never actually thought straight around certain girls, but you get the point.) All I could do was walk around town in a zombie like state thinking about her tail. How did she exist? How long have mermaids existed? Was this what my Aunt Maria was talking about? I felt a headache coming on. Times like this called for sea glass candy.

I bought some more candy and walked home. I knew I couldn't talk to my parents about this. I also knew I wouldn't be able to keep it away from Dinah for long. It wasn't that I didn't trust her, it's just for some reason this doesn't seem like the right time to tell her. Aunt Maria was another option. But would she even let me into her bedroom?

When I got home, I went straight to my mom. I found her in the kitchen making brownies.

"Hey mom, do you think Aunt Maria would let me into her room?"

"Not today sweetie," she said. Mom moved so she was leaning against the doorframe. "She's sitting in her chair with her back to the door. She won't let anyone talk to her in that state. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I said, trying not to sound disappointed. "I was just wondering."

Mom continued to look at me with that mom look. The one that said 'I don't believe you, but I'm concerned for you.' I gave her a tiny smile.

"I'm gonna go back to the beach."

"But you just got back," mom said.

I left without answering, still holding my bag of newly bought candy. I was going to go try to find the orange girl again. Thinking about her made me reach for my necklace. I felt my chest for it before I remembered that I didn't have it anymore. Slowly, I dropped my hand.

When I got to Opal Beach, I headed for the rocky part of the island. It was where I first saw her, so I figured it was my best shot at finding her. I walked on the rocks for a long time while munching on candy. I searched for her, but I still didn't see any sign if her. I wasn't going to give up that easy, so I kept walking. Ten minutes later, I was distracted by a flock of seaguls. I was just watching them. They weren't that interesting. Just flying around and occasionally diving into the water to catch fish. But while watching them, I didn't notice someone laying down a couple feet away from me until I stepped on them.

"Ouch!" A voice yelped. "You stepped on my hand"

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry, I just didn't see you th--" My voice stopped working. There in front of me was the orange girl.

I was right about her hair. It was brunette and, once again, her hair was wet and tangled from the ocean. She held her injured hand to her chest. Being this close to her I saw her skin wasn't fully orange. It was just tinted orange. The same bright orange color of her tail.

She glared at me. Her eyes were one of the prettiest things I've ever seen. They stared out emerald, but got lighter around the edges. I couldn't speak. She was a really hot mermaid, who was currently wearing my pearl necklace.

I felt anger bubble in my chest. It was one thing to find it, but then to actually wear it like it was hers made me mad. It dangled quite low on her chest. Even in my anger, I hesitated looking in that particular area. I didn't want her to think I was a pervert. Weirdly enough, she was wearing a dark orange bathing suit top. I can honestly say I wasn't expecting that. Yet, it was way better than her being half naked.

She was still glaring up at me. Probably waiting for another apology. I rolled my eyes and sat next to her. She inched away from me.

I held out my hand. "You took my necklace."

"No I didn't," she replied.

I narrowed my eyes at her, still holding my hand out. She deflated a little, but placed her hand over MY necklace, like she was protecting it from me.

"Please give it back. It's mine," I gritted out.

She didn't answer, but tightened her hand around the necklace. I pressed my lips in a thin line. Anger wasn't getting me anywhere. Okay, then I'll try sympathy.

"Please? My Aunt Maria gave that to me. It's really important," I cried.

The orange girl dropped her hand from the necklace. I tried to smile at her as I reached for it, but she jerked back from me. I puffed and shook my head. This wasn't going to work. Unconsciously, I started to eat a piece of my candy. I saw the orange girl watch me as I ate. Her eyes widened and her lips parted. I started to really smile then. I'd give her some candy in exchange for my necklace.

"I'll make you a deal," I said, sitting up straighter.

"Okay...," she said, mimicking my movements.

"I'll give you some candy if you give me my necklace back."

The orange girl slumped back. I could tell she was thinking about it. To coax her to lean more my way, I pulled out some candy. Her emerald eyes followed the candy as I move my hand back and forth. Suddenly, she was laughing. Her laughing caused me to start giggling.

"What are you laughing at?" I asked, amused.

"Well you're no sea witch, that's all," she giggled.

I laughed with her. "Will you please give me my necklace back?"

"Sure," she said, her voice was ten times softer now than it had two minutes ago.

As she handed me the necklace, our hands brushed, causing her to shock me. I laughed again. It was like one of those sappy love movies. Maybe we could be more than friends, I thought, suddenly feeling hopeful.

I gave her some of the sea glass candy. We sat on the rocks for who knows how long, just talking. We were talking, laughing, and eating candy. It was around two o'clock when my mom texted me to come back home to eat something.

As I started to get up, she gabbed my leg.

"Where are you going?" She wondered, in a small tone.

"I gotta go," I responded.

"Oh," she said, sounding disappointed. Was she disappointed? Or was I just imagining things?

"Why don't we meet here tomorrow?" I suggested.

She immediately brightened up. I started to walk away when I remembered that I didn't know her name. I slung around quickly, scaring the orange girl.

"What's your name?"

"Lauren."

"What's yours?" Lauren asked.

"Camila."

"Camila," Lauren repeated. She sounded as if she couldn't believe it.

"My name is Karla Camila," I said, smiling at her.

"Well Karla Camila, I'll see you tomorrow."

With that Lauren disappeared into the ocean. Maybe this summer wouldn't be that boring after all.