Chapter 6 - Spirit Wish

Start from the beginning

Minara spoke again. "Overlord ... I have ... one last request. You said ... you may not desire ... a longer lifespan ... but I've always ... felt indebted ... to Thraydus ... and now ... to you. I regretted ... that he never ... accepted our gift ... but I wish ... to pass it on ... to you..."

"I am not worthy of it. The crystal said the spell would kill me instead."

Even as she suffered, Minara smiled. "Look down ... at the fragment ... you hold..."

Darkus had forgotten he was holding one of the Crystal Monolith's shards. Through stress, he'd inadvertently channelled his mana inside.

Like when the crystal was whole, it glowed a white light, signifying Darkus's favoured element of ice. The light wasn't nearly as bright as when the crystal was whole, but its magic hadn't completely faded yet. However, it gradually dimmed with each passing second. Deep within the crystal were glowing specks of light resembling white fireflies. These had been absent the last time Darkus touched the crystal, but present when Minara touched it.

"The lights..." he said. "The crystal deems me worthy now."

"You must have changed..." Minara muttered, "on the inside..."

Darkus finally understood why he'd been deemed unworthy just days ago. He'd believed being overlord meant enforcing against trouble throughout Slyke with an iron fist. He realised how much it meant to him to protect this new Slyke, which the likes of Thraydus, and his own father—a member of Thraydus' rebellion—had fought so hard to create.

Slyke was not the land of slaves and slavers it once was, but there were still those who believed in the old ways. Time would convince them, he was sure, but he doubted it'd be during his era.

Another thought occurred; what if the next overlord turned out to be one who believed in the old ways?

"Minara," he said. "I will think on the Years of Judgement later. First, I must rid Slyke of that dragon."

Minara nodded. "Darkus..." she muttered, addressing the overlord by name for the first time, "I have ... one last wish. I want ... to continue ... granting ... Judicii Annis ... upon those ... who are worthy. This ... is my spirit wish..."

"Spirit wish?"

"A special kind of magic ... only those ... of powerful faith ... can call upon. But I need ... your help..."

"Will this be quick? I cannot stay much longer."

"Freeze my remains ... before I pass away. My spirit ... will remain inside ... until you cast it ... in a hallowed place..."

"What hallowed place?"

"A place ... where mage-priests of old ... cast their blessing ... but never resided ... just to keep ... its spirit serene..."

"I don't know of such a place."

"Aurum Lake..."

"Aurum Lake? If I go to Aurum Lake now, it may be too late when I return. Either my reinforcements will have arrived and many people would die, or the dragons will have finished fighting. Who knows what destruction a victorious black dragon would cause."

"You don't need ... to go there now. Just ... freeze me ... and place me there ... once you've done what you must..."

Darkus's face grew grim. "Minara, you do understand I may not survive this ordeal, right?"

Minara smiled again, raising a dying hand to Darkus' cheek. "You shall prevail. I have ... faith in you ... as I did ... your master..."

With resolution in his eyes, Darkus stood, looking down at the shard in his hand. It glowed no more; the Crystal Monolith's magic was gone forever.

He thanked the object for informing him of his change, before casting it away. Putting down his bow, he took a step back from Minara and pointed both palms towards her.

"Thank you..." she muttered.

"Thank you," Darkus repeated, "and farewell, Minara. I'm glad to have met you."

Saying nothing more, he conjured ice from his hands. The dying Minara closed her eyes as the cold engulfed her. Darkus froze her in a different way to those he fought in battle. Rather than freezing her so deeply her body died from shock, he froze Minara gently, ensuring she remained alive within the ice; it even prevented her wound from leaking more blood. One couldn't remain this way for long, but it would keep her alive for a day at least, long enough for Darkus to bring her to Aurum Lake—if he yet survived his encounter with the dragons.

Once it was done, Darkus reclaimed his bow andturned away. He'd finally made his decision.