v - Tales From Another Broken Home

|the telepath | v

TALES FROM ANOTHER BROKEN HOME

---

Life in the home seemed to pick up quickly after the first couple of days or so. I'd gotten myself into a routine that seemed to reset just as the loop did. I suppose most people would have found it boring but being peculiar meant I wasn't 'most people' and everything always felt so new. Discovering more about the children's peculiarities would never get old. Or at least for now I still held a certain level of curiosity.

I currently lay starfished on my bed, staring at the ceiling. Despite everything else, the room still didn't feel like my own.

I'd decorated it to the best of my ability. Fairly lights taken from a small and unused Christmas box framed my window leaving a soft glow when the room was dark, a vase of brightly coloured flowers grown by Fiona sat on my dresser, and the pale blue walls were covered in pictures of home.

My real home.

Pictures of my mother and father before I was born, pictures of our farm, pictures of me and the boy next door who never failed to say hello at school. Even a picture of our little dog who hid in father's picnic basket when he was riding off to work once.

Seeing them made me smile fondly but also stabbed my heart. I couldn't begin to count how many times they'd been in and out of my bag over the past week I'd been living here. I couldn't decide what was more painful, seeing what I'd left or never seeing them again.

Miss Peregrine and the children were extremely welcoming and even with just the small time I'd spent here, I could tell the bird would soon become like a second mother to me as she had with all the other children.

A small knock on the door awoke me from my thoughts and I sat up from my position quickly.

"Come in" I beckoned and soon emerged Bronwyn with a small smile on her face.

"Miss Peregrine asked me to tell you it's time for our walk" she stated though seemed suddenly taken in with the sight of the room. More so the fairy lights. I smiled and let out a small giggle.

"You can take these if you want" I stated, holding out a set I hadn't found room for. She thanked me and took them, hugging me tightly after. Despite the fact I couldn't breathe at that moment, I could see in her mind that she was happy.

 I smiled and followed her down the stairs where the other peculiars were standing waiting.

"Right, should we go then?" The Ymbryne chirped, clasping her hands together before making her way to the door followed closely by the children.

---

It was nice to get some fresh air after being cooped up in the house for almost an entire week. Of course, I was able to go outside and sit on the grass outside of the house but that didn't all compare to actually being able to leave and roam about the village. I stuck close to the older children as they seemed to know exactly where they were going and I'd only ever seen the village once before. I'd never really gotten the chance to explore but being out with peculiars showed me that there wasn't all too much to explore.

I wasn't sure exactly what I expected from the small village. People living their day-to-day lives amid a war. Paint crumbling off their houses and stores. Small boats lined the dock like the one I'd arrived on.

Still, I appreciated the chance to get out of the house, even if we were still in the loop. The children had probably seen this sight a million and one times. Millard made it known that he was writing a book on every single thing that happened on the small island. I told him that the idea was crazy but he didn't seem to care.