chapter seventeen

KENZIE'S POINT OF VIEW
( TWO DAYS LATER — FRIDAY )
•••

i groaned as i woke up to my alarm. after so long of no school, my parents were forcing me to go, since it was the last day of the week.

i got dressed in my uniform, and after applying some light makeup, went downstairs. i couldn't eat any breakfast, partly because i was dying of nervousness.

lauren and annie had worked on it a while longer, and finally convinced me to confess my feelings, if that's what they were, to johnny.

once they had gone, i'd pondered over it for a long time, and eventually ended up calling maisy over, and let her convince me.

that was also when i had told her about the move, and coincidentally, she herself had moved there last year, so maybe i would have someone after all.

maddie had already eaten, so without eating my breakfast, we said bye to our parents and got into the limo.

soon enough, we got to school, and i went straight to my locker. just as i opened it, my phone buzzed. i pulled it out, and smiled upon seeing that it was from johnny.

JOHNNY
hey kenz..

KENZIE
hey! what's wrong?

JOHNNY
wdym?

KENZIE
what's with the (...)

JOHNNY
right..
okay so do you
know avery?

KENZIE
yeah why?

JOHNNY
well, while you were
out of school, we got talking,
and you know how we aren't
really dating?

KENZIE
mhm?

JOHNNY
well, i was wondering if
we could stop fake dating
cause like she's acc super
nice and i sorta like her

KENZIE
oh..okay! that's great, but
what do we tell everyone?

JOHNNY
you can say you broke up w me
i don't mind

KENZIE
okay that works
thanks for this..
gtg bye

JOHNNY
no problem. i hope
we can still be friends

KENZIE
yeah, me too..

JOHNNY
uh ok bye??

KENZIE
bye. i'm rlly
happy for you.

JOHNNY
thanks mackz

i blinked back the tears that were threatening to fall from me eyes as i texted johnny. to think i was actually about to confess to him that i like him today.

i took a deep breath and gently wiped my eyes. just then lauren and annie arrived at my locker. "kenzie! what's wrong?" they asked me in sync.

i shook my head, embarrassed. "come on. spill," lauren edged me on. i sighed, but not in the mood to argue, i explained everything to them.

"oh kenzie!" annie exclaimed, wrapping me in a hug. lauren did the same, and my tears threatened to return. i quickly broke away. "i'm okay," i ginned, ignoring they looks of disbelief.

•••

"oh come on! please!" annie begged me. "only for one night," lauren added. the two of them gave me puppy dog eyes, and finally i relented. "fine," i sighed, agreeing to go to lauren's house.

"and don't worry about johnny," lauren added, almost as though she'd read my mind. i gave her a shrug.

"shotgun!" i changed the topic as we approached annie's car. "hey!" lauren exclaimed in protest, while i grinned.

i texted my mom to let her know that i was going to lauren's and she thankfully agreed, saying that i'd have to share lauren's clothes since she wouldn't be able to get them sent.

once that was done, i turned on some music, and the three of us began jamming to ariana grande.

finally we pulled into lauren's driveway, and the three of us jumped out. here comes the real test. i'd been avoiding johnny all day, and i wasn't in the mood to see him yet, not that he noticed, since we was probably wrapped up in avery.

i really need to stop thinking about him. we followed lauren through the door, and went straight to lauren's room.

"what should we do?" lauren asked. i shrugged while annie chirpily suggested spin the bottle, truth and dare version.

"that would have been fun, if only there were more people," i stated. "so let's call more people," lauren happily suggested.

"maisy?" i asked, and the two of them agreed. i texted maisy to meet us her, along with lauren's address, and she happily agreed.

"who else?" annie asked. before long we had invited a whole bunch of people, consisting of jayden bartels, anna catchcart, lilia buckingham and devenity perkins. we'd always been friends with them, just not besties.

they all thankfully agreed, and arrived around the same time. after i introduced maisy to everyone, we began the game.

"who wants to go first?" lauren asked. maisy volunteered, and she spun the bottle. it landed on lauren. we all jokingly cheered.

"uh truth," lauren said. "okay, umm..who was your first kiss?" maisy asked her.

i leaned in, curious to find out. over all of the years i've known lauren, we've never discussed this.

"hayden.." lauren gave annie a sideways glance. "please don't hate me anns! i swear i don't like him anymore!" lauren exclaimed, hurriedly.

"lolo, chill! i'm not mad, except of course for the fact that you just exposed me!" annie chuckled, and we all joint in. i would've hated for my friends to fight over a guy.

"anyway, my turn!" lauren squealed, giving me an evil look only best friends give each other. i sighed, already knowing how this was going to end.

•••
i'm really bored hmu

[ word count — 896 words ]
( EDITED )