Chapter 10- Mother Nature Crashed the Party

"Mermaids don't exist."

"(y/n)."

"Mermaids don't exist."

"(y/n)? (n/n)? Are you in there?"

"Mermaids don't exist."

"Your highness? It's rude to ignore a friend."

"Mermaids don't exist."

"(Y/N)!!"

"Mermaids don't exist," I repeat, angling my head down so I stared at the two sea creatures. Even with their scolding behavior only a few seconds ago, more sympathy and pity was in their eyes.

I started to hate the look more and more.

But how? That was the question- did he... forget about me? Block his existence from my mind? Did I... do something to earn this neglect and hatred? No, only smiles were exchanged when I saw him for the last time. We had promised to meet up again, earlier this time, so sneaking out was easier. He was like always was- composed, warm, and patient. There was nothing in his eyes that would change tomorrow.

The mix of pained thoughts were interrupted as the mast of the ship split in two.

No screams followed like I expected.

It immediately caught Jellal's attention, and his faced morphed into one of strict authority. He shot out a pair of commands and the sailors went to work- he himself moving up the stairs to join the helmsman, taking over. Natsu jumped from the railing and grabbed a flying rope.

The storm hit us hard and unexpected.

"Hurricane a'commin'!! Stand fast! Secure the riggin'!" someone yelled, and I instinctively dived back into the water.

It's warmth enveloped me and wetted my parched scales, hair floating as I came back to the surface. Not even I, a mermaid princess, could match the power of the waves during a storm, and my head dunked underwater each time I was hit, only able to catch glimpses of the commotion on the ship.

I watched as more lightning struck, silver beams in the murky sky.  

Amica and Kelton tumbled under the waves, plunged back into the ocean. But I was stronger, larger, determination of seeing the outcome of the ship burning into my soul. It wasn't like me to leave if people needed help, in any shape or form. 

Rain came down from the sky, the ship's bottom wood submerging and ascending from the sea like a rubber toy in a bathtub. Streams of fizzed water, white with bubbles, crashed onto the deck, not fazing the skilled sailors as they continued their work, bringing themselves to safety. 

That was, before the pierced man was plunged into the deep sea, by a single, small-scaled but flowing with power, wave. 

"Gajeel!!"

Echoes of his name followed, and I watched from underwater as the black-haired man sunk down deeper. 

I could immediately tell he couldn't swim. Should I reveal myself? Should give him a small push towards the surface, push him towards something to anchor to?

Not a moment later, two more bodies expertly dived into the water, grabbing him and heaving him to the surface. One had shocking maroon hair and a large scar over his eye, the other the teenager I had seen previously. I almost smiled at the strong bonds between the sailors. 

I let an air bubble of relief pass my lips. 

Jellal had grabbed the wheel just in time before it would sweep them all away with the waves. His teeth were gritted as he tried to keep it in control, but the ocean was too strong for him. Too strong for everyone. His knuckles went white as his hands tried to keep the wheel in one place. 

But it was not only the ocean that was their enemy. 

With a strike, lightning hit the deck like a hammer would pierce ice. 

Fire erupted from the flammable wood, spreading across the wide space. I could see the bright orange flames as they burned, and I furrowed my eyebrows, trying desperately to fight against the current and keep watching. 

How on earth does fire survive in such climate?

And as a wave crashed into my back, erupting searing pain across my skin, I watched heat creep up another mast and to the sails. 

My head flicked towards where Jellal was standing- watching with wide, honey-brown eyes as his own ship burst to flames. A sense of empathy came over me for the man I thought I had known so well, locks stuck to his face and clothes soaked by both rain and salt water. 

And, as everyone is distracted by the chaos that descended, the ship crashes into a ridge. 

Now there are screams. 

Wood flies in all distractions with the crash, splinters soaring through the air, the rest of the sailors diving into the ocean as a last method for survival. They knew that it was over. 

And so does Jellal. 

My heart begins to beat faster, maybe due to the tension, or maybe because he was so close

Only a few meters, where I could pull him away, bring him safety in my arms. I shake the thought away. He doesn't remember me, and even as painful as it is, I can't act. Yet

Even as my instincts pulled me closer, he was approached by a smaller rowboat. Freed stuck out his hand, Jellal giving him a reckless grin in return, as if nothing was wrong. He grabbed the outstretched hand. The green-haired man heaved him up on the boat, his posh clothes wet. 

"Do we have everyone?!" my old friend screamed over the storm, scanning the boat. Several people were hunched over, bleeding from splinters wedged into different body parts. I gulped, watching crimson liquid leak down Jellal's forehead. 

"Where's Natsu?

Freed had no answer. 

There was no doubt about it. He was still on board. But why?

i was hoping the title of this chapter would make it less depressing

i dont think it worked

also: because ur lovely author-chan tries rly hard, im listening to a 10 hour soundtrack of storm sounds. but fuck, the lightning sounds, i love it. 

my version of asmr.