**

Settled back in the carriage, Alex looked around in interest, no longer depressed and sluggish. "Where are we going?  I mean, where can I go?"

"There's a store that caters to Chameleons here in the city. With Dr. Glick's help, I forced them to let you go that far.  There'll be guards, I'm sorry to say."

"Don't be.  At least I'm outside the Institute for a while."

A Chameleon met them at the store's entrance.  He was as gracious as the rest of his species and showed them around. 

Alex was satisfied to tour the store, but Zilik seemed to have a purpose in mind.

"Over here, Alex, look at these." He waved to a rack of clothes. 

She recognized the ornate jumpsuits that most of the species favored in the city. 

"These can all be altered for your frame," the manager said smoothly. "Do you see any you like? Please try them on."

"I don't have any currency. I'm just looking." Alex waved off the suit that he was holding.

"Go ahead, pick one out," Zilik urged. "I'll buy you one."

"That's okay." Alex shook her head. "These look expensive."

"Don't worry about that."

"I've been meaning to ask you." Alex looked at Zilik with mistrust. "How do you have all this time to spend with me? How are you able to pay for this? What do you do?"

"I guess I've never said."

"No, you haven't," she replied. "You said you were a hobby sociologist. You didn't tell me what your job was."

"I'm an aide to the Chameleon Council member.  I was assigned to you and our government is willing to fund you," Zilik said.

"Assigned? I see." All the life drained out of Alex and she let the material of the suit she was holding slip away. "Can I go back now?"

The manager and Zilik both turned the distressed color of blue.  The manager looked at Zilik helplessly, who waved him off.

"You have the wrong idea about me.  I don't visit you because I'm assigned to you.  After I met you at the party, I had to find out more about you. I had to fight for this job. Lok was dying for it as well."

"I don't know if I believe you."

"Then ask for another aide.  You can see for yourself all the volunteers there will be, Lok the foremost," Zilik said.

"I wouldn't ask for another aide. If you want to hang around me, you can. You've put up with enough," Alex said, still looking depressed.

The manager reappeared, his color a calmer green.  He held up a plain grey outfit. "I found this most appropriate. It is quite a favorite among trans-species sleep-mates of Chameleons."

"I'm not—"

"Of course not," the manager cut in. "Forgive me if I implied that. I didn't mean to.  But try it on."

"Yes," Zilik said with enthusiasm.

Alex couldn't see why they were excited about the drab suit.  She took the arm of it for a closer look, and the material flowed with blue color.  She gasped and dropped it.  The arm returned to its former grey.  She picked it up again, and this time a warm orange spread over it.

"This is weird," she said, examining it.

"It reflects your feelings, like a Chameleon," the manager explained.

Guardians: Away Mission Book 2 of the Guardians Saga COMPLETED except for editsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें