"Fair enough," Spencer said. "Come on."

They left the room, which incurred more shouting from the workers, but Ivy couldn't make out anything they were saying.

They ran down a few more halls, cleared the top floor, and took a staircase down a level. As they turned the corner, they finally ran into the Altered.

"What are you losers doing here?" Seth asked.

"Seth, what did I tell you about shutting up?" Ash turned to face the Supers. "What are you doing here?"

"We could ask you the same thing," Spencer said. "You sure have drawn a lot of attention."

"That doesn't matter to us." Ash held up his fists. "Now I'd suggest getting out of our way."

"Really?" Summer asked. "You're outnumbered."

"Oh, please. Don't tell me you're counting the dog." Ash raised an eyebrow and looked Summer up and down. "I will admit, I'm surprised to see you. Didn't think you'd be back at it so soon."

Victoria took a step forward. "Where's Claire?"

"I haven't seen her since the night you blew up Scorpion," Ash answered.

"Ace." Spencer's voice carried a command that the dog understood. Ace barked, knocking all four of the Altered to the ground.

Ash grimaced as he sat up. "Hestia, you'll move faster on your own. Go get it. We'll take care of these guys."

Hestia nodded and disappeared into thin air. Summer cursed and broke into a run. "I'll go find her!" she called.

Victoria's eyes widened. "Summer, wait!" She followed Summer down the hallway.

Ivy turned her head and met Spencer's gaze.

He smiled. "We've got this."

~

Victoria was surprised by how quickly she caught up to Summer. Before being shot, she'd always been able to easily outpace almost everyone. Now, though...

Summer slowed down and turned in a circle. "Ugh. She could be anywhere."

Victoria stopped next to her. "If their whole group was looking for it, whatever it is, then hopefully it isn't too far from here."

Summer frowned and pointed at an ajar door at the other end of the hallway, the only one that wasn't tightly closed. "In there, maybe?"

"Worth a shot," Victoria said.

They crossed the hall in silence, listening for any movement in the room. When they entered it, it was empty.

"Dang it," Summer muttered.

"Maybe she came in here and teleported away." Victoria looked around. "I wonder what they're looking for, anyway."

"No idea. It didn't sound like it's Jones, though. Seems to be some kind of object." A sudden grimace of pain crossed Summer's face and she grabbed a nearby chair.

Victoria tensed. "What's wrong?" she asked.

"I'm fine," Summer insisted. "I just need to sit down a sec."

Victoria walked over to her as she sank into the chair. "I—"

The door flew all the way open, slamming against the wall as four security guards stepped into the room.

"We've got two of them," one said into his walkie talkie. The others drew their guns.

Panic washed over Victoria. She straightened up. "We're not Scorpion," she told the guards. "We're here to stop them."

The guards exchanged some quick glances, but didn't lower their guns. "You broke in here," one said. "I don't care who you're affiliated with, you're coming with us."

Victoria swallowed and created three copies of herself. The guards stepped toward her. Next to her, Summer stood up.

"Summer, you need to rest—" Victoria said.

"I'm fine." Summer held up her arm. She swayed a little, but managed to stay standing.

The guard in front aimed his gun at Summer.

~

Summer froze. Her mind went blank. All she could focus on was the gun pointed at her. The scars on her stomach ached.

Do something. You have to do something.

She tried to summon a blast of electricity, but the only response her body gave was a few pitiful sparks that jumped off her fingers and disappeared into the air.

She couldn't pull her eyes from the barrel of the gun.

"Put your hands up and come with us," the guard holding the gun said.

"Don't bother with that," one of the others said. "You know what these kids are like. We should just take care of them now."

"Fair enough."

The gun went off and there was a flash of movement, followed by a shout of pain. Victoria hit the ground.

In a heartbeat, Summer was on the floor next to her. "Victoria!" she cried.

She didn't have to put any effort into her using her power now. Electricity jumped off of her and struck each of the guards, sending them to the ground. Summer didn't give them a second glance as she grabbed Victoria's arm. "Victoria!"

Summer's gaze drifted to the bullet wound in Victoria's stomach. "No. Oh no. Nonononononononono—"

Victoria's form flickered. Summer froze. A moment later, the body disappeared entirely.

"God, that hurts," came a voice from behind Summer.

Summer turned her head as Victoria, the real Victoria, dropped to the floor next to her. "That was..."

"A copy," Victoria finished. "Still hurts, though. A lot. Geez, how did you get through that?"

Summer stared at her, mouth agape. "I—you—you gave me a heart attack, Victoria!"

Victoria swallowed. "Sorry, I just...didn't want you getting shot twice. Plus I knew I could take it."

Summer felt something wet roll down her cheek and realized she'd begun crying. Before Victoria could react, Summer leaned forward and hugged her.

"Thanks for taking a bullet for me."

"Oof. Um, yeah, no problem."

"Sorry." Summer pulled back. "You okay? I mean, you have to be in a lot of pain."

"It's fading already. Don't worry." Victoria's face was red and her breathing was ragged. "I'll be good in a few minutes."

Summer's hands trembled as she stood up. The door opened again, and she breathed a sigh of relief when she saw Spencer and Ivy.

"Whoa." Spencer eyed the unconscious guards. "You guys okay?"

"Relatively speaking," Victoria managed. "What happened to you guys?"