Six

Ivy paced back and forth across the deck. The sun gradually slid below the horizon, leaving the sky darker with each second that passed. Every minute or so, another Super would finish training and head inside.

Ivy stopped by the railing. Waves crashed against the ship, their roar filling the air. The sound didn't bother Ivy as much as when she had first arrived, but the ocean still made her anxious.

"Have you seen Spencer?"

Ivy jumped at the sound of Victoria's voice. "Oh," she said. "Uh, not since we got back from Capricorn."

Victoria sighed and leaned against the railing. "I haven't heard anything from them about rescuing Claire."

Ivy tapped a finger against the cold metal, unsure what to say. "Yeah, hopefully they'll come up with something soon."

"You guys comin' in?"

Ivy and Victoria turned around as Summer approached them.

"Summer!" Victoria exclaimed, her tone more concerned than glad. "You shouldn't be walking around by yourself."

Summer dismissed Victoria's worry with a wave of her hand. "I'm fine. You guys should get some rest."

"I know," Ivy said. "I just hate waiting around while Claire's in danger."

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to sleep," Victoria added.

"Well, you're welcome to come train with me," Summer said.

"Train?" Ivy asked incredulously. "If anyone should be resting, it's you."

Victoria folded her arms. "Agreed."

"Hey, I've been resting for weeks. I slept all afternoon. I don't like waiting around, either."

Ivy sighed. "Fair enough, I guess. But I guess I'll at least try to sleep."

She stepped away from the railing and headed inside, leaving the other two behind. She was genuinely surprised by how much of a liking Victoria had taken to Summer. Despite not getting along with anyone on the ship when she'd arrived, helping Dr. Newman take care of Summer had seemed to soften her up a little.

It was good, Ivy supposed. The last thing they needed right now was more conflict.

Granted, she still couldn't bring herself to trust Tyler entirely...

Ivy reached her room and climbed into bed. Although fear and uncertainty hung over her, exhaustion caught up and pulled her into a deep sleep.

She drifted between strange, easily forgotten dreams until a sharp pain in her head yanked her awake. Ivy sat up and gasped in pain. Pressing a hand to her forehead, she tried to think. Dr. Newman was sure to have painkillers, but the thought of walking all the way to the lab made her want to cry.

Ivy?

Ivy couldn't believe what she was hearing. How was Claire reaching her mind? Wherever Claire was, it was nowhere near close enough for a telepathic connection...right?

Claire? Is that you? Ivy responded.

The pain in Ivy's head faded a moment before coming back at full force. Ivy winced, and found herself holding back tears.

Sorry! Claire thought. I'm not sure what's happening. I'm trying to—

Claire! Victoria's mind joined them.

Victoria? Ivy asked. What's going on?

~

Victoria grunted as her fist connected with the punching bag. Breathing hard, she took a step back. "How did I not know this place had a gym?"

[OLD] The Phoenix Project (#3)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें