Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"I probably wouldn't be able to accept it now, anyway," Jax retorted.

Malcolm flinched slightly. "But that's not who I am now."

"Yeah, you and the others keep saying that," Jax huffed. "And maybe Sara's come around to Slade. Maybe she'll come around to you. It'll take more than talking the talk to get me to believe that."

"Then here's what I'm going to do," Malcolm turned to him. "You want me to prove I've changed? I will. You better get used to having me at your back, Jax."

"What?" Jax snorted. "You killed me and nearly killed Grey, now you're gonna make sure we don't get killed?"

"Got a problem with that?" Malcolm raised an eyebrow. "Unless you have a better idea."

When Jax didn't say anything, Malcolm held out his hands in a helpless gesture before walking off. Jax sighed and turned back around, only to hear Stein's voice behind him. "Perhaps a . . . hopefully lighter conversation, Jefferson?"

Jax closed his eyes. Of course Grey would find him, too. "Uh, Grey, I'm busy, man."

"Yes, I can see that," Stein walked quickly to walk alongside him. "But I was hoping you might take a moment away from your . . . heavy . . . discussion with Malcolm Merlyn and your ruminations on dystopian alternative history to accept my apology. I may be a learned man, but I am not always an astute one. I think I was just so thrilled with the reality of my imminent departure that I neglected to consider your feelings."

"Look, man," Jax turned to him. "I'm not trying to take you away from your family or nothing – "

"You are my family!" Stein cut into him, turning to him as well, looking surprised Jax hadn't included himself. Jax blinked, then looked down, a small smile on his face as Stein looked long and hard at him. "Long before I unexpectedly found myself with a daughter, I found myself unexpectedly with a son."

"Yeah, I know," Jax nodded. "I just – "

"You know?" Stein repeated, raising an eyebrow. "You know, do you? Look around you." Jax did, around at the Freedom Fighters, as Stein continued. "We're standing in one of the darkest places imaginable, yet somehow I'm optimistic. Do you know why?"

"'Cause you're a crazy old man," Jax smirked.

"Yes," Stein nodded, then blinked and hastily shook his head. "No!" Jax snickered, but Stein looked completely serious. "Because I'm standing here with you. You are a better son than I could have ever hoped for, and no length of time or distance will ever change that."

Jax smiled fondly. "All right. Apology accepted." He walked forward, holding out his arms. "Come here."

Stein smiled brightly, and both chuckled as they hugged each other tightly.

***

Sara frowned as she walked through the Freedom Fighters base, then looked up when she heard Slade coming from the other direction. "Hey," she said. "Have you seen Alex?"

"I've been looking for her, too," Slade shook his head. "Barry and Laurel are on the other side of the building looking – " He frowned, then tilted his head. "Hear that?"

Sara turned around, then heard what he had – the sound of drawers slamming. "Think we found her," she hurried off, Slade behind her.

They walked down the stairs to the next level, finding Alex in a frenzy, looking through every set of drawers she could find. "What are you doing?" Slade frowned.

"Looking for a gun," Alex swallowed. "Or a knife. Anything. I don't care how many Sturmtigers they have out there. I'm gonna go save Kara, with or without the help of these people."