Perfect. A party where duels are the norm.

Cla took advantage of Alex's momentary distraction to deliver another slash and Alex yelped. Cla struck fast, like a snake, and if Alex's reflexes and sight hadn't been enhanced as well, she would be so much meat for the Anolis.

The Gilas held back, probably waiting for her to make an aggressive move, but Alex didn't know how long that would last.

If they rushed her, she would fly to retreat and wouldn't that give the researchers spasms. And give them another reason to keep her locked up like a dangerous animal.

Probably chained down.

Alex's heel slammed into a wall.

Where was everybody? Didn't anyone other than the Anolis want to watch the mammal duel? Where were those blasted Council members who wanted to see how I held up under provocation? Hello, I'm doing really well! Not fighting back! See? See? Now come and get me!

"Cla? Are you out here?"

Gabe. At the moment, Alex's relief overwhelmed the ache that he had come looking for Cla, not her.

"What's going on?" Gabe's question was curious, not accusatory.

The knife vanished from Cla's hand. Alex crossed her arms nonchalantly, pressing the bleeding wound into the other arm, hiding it.

She wasn't sure why. Alex should be able to show it to Gabe, have the whole matter come to light, and he would return to her, reassure her, include her in the team again.

Or not. Maybe I'll be blamed for ruining the party again.

That pain was too much to bear.

I'll bide my time.

The Gilas melted away.

"Not much. Just discussing the night's itinerary," Alex said and Cla nodded in agreement.

"Why don't I believe you?" Gabe asked.

Alex started to say something that she would regret, when Cla's words flowed out.

"Because males can't understand females. Now let's say our goodbyes and move on to the next party. This one is far too dull." Cla steered Gabe back towards the house.

"Coming, Alex?" he asked.

"I'm not allowed anywhere else. I'm tired and will call it a night. Lots of tests in the morning." Alex allowed herself an acid tone.

I deserve it.

Now Cla had the rest of the night to invent a tale. Alex didn't doubt that she would be made out as the villain.

There's no stopping Cla. Gabe will have to make up his own mind.

Alex nodded to Zilik and Lok, trapped in a 'conversation' with several large Gilas, as she made her way through the house to the line of carriages.

"Back to the Institute, please." Alex stretched out in the back of her assigned carriage. It was made of an exquisite wood that would make any princess green with envy, although the gold paint on the sides was chipped and peeled, revealing the wood underneath.

It's like having a chauffeur. Only one who takes me back to prison.

Back at the common area that Alex shared with her friends, Alex wrapped her arm in a spare shirt and went to bed. The brothers would not, under any circumstances, find her awake, as if she was waiting for them.

*****

In the morning, Alex heard her name called. Confused,she looked down at her wrapped arm.

The shirt, once white, was stained with her blood and a broad band of bright red round her forearm. Her arm was under the shirt, but she could see it, and it was more than just a sight. It was a memory.

It focused her mind from its usual awakening confusion and she sat up. She heard her name again, so she walked into the common room.

It was empty, but her name was repeated yet again, coming from Gabe's bedroom.

Hating herself, she peered in the door that was cracked open.

Cla and Gabe were coiled together, both nude. Cla's tail was wrapped around Gabe's legs.

Alex hated that her gaze flicked down Gabe's body. His gorgeous muscular chest transitioned to a flat belly and below was a sexless appearing as any dragon or reptile, to her immense relief.

Alex was more than surprised that he was naked because he was as body-shy as Alex herself.

Gabe was asleep, but Cla's eyes were open. She favored Alex with a malevolent smile. Alex stood frozen, a mouse before a snake. Cla ran a possessive hand down Gabe's side and the spell was broken by her movement.

Alex ran back to her room, flung herself on the bed, and curled under the sheets.

"Alex?" Gabe rubbed his eyes.

"She just left," Cla answered.

****

A/N

Too drastic a change for Gabe?

Dedicated to my amazing cover maker

katieishere

She has an amazing cover shop and her book Starlight's Heir is a new twist on how fallen angels became faeries!

Guardians: Away Mission Book 2 of the Guardians Saga COMPLETED except for editsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें