"The Chameleons will host the party. You're all invited except you." The Chameleon swiveled an eye at the Draconinae.

"As if I would want to attend." The Draconinae stood up and left in a huff.

****

Alex wore the popular long sleeved one-piece garment seen in this town to the party. Her clothing was a combination of metallic greens and browns, set in a snake scale pattern.

Her hair was tightly woven in braids with metallic beads and pulled back from her head. Hair was far too mammalian to be allowed to flow free.

Dr. Glick had built her outfit with the help of his wife and her fashion papers.  Alex was determined to fit in, whatever the cost, and beading her hair was a small one.

The party room was fashioned after a large but warm-looking cavern with inviting earthy brown walls and gaslights flickering along the walls in their sconces.

Fireplaces big enough to stand in graced two opposite sides. A raised bandstand was at the far end, a variety of seated reptiles playing various stringed instruments.

Alex sat at a round, eight-seated table with Gabe, Rile, and Cale at the party, playing with her drink and mustering courage.

Outside, a far different scene was playing out. Cla approached the party with her two best warriors.

"The Draconinae ambassador said there are seven entrances, Cla," Deela said. "Only one is being used as the party entrance, two are service entrances and the rest are closed, but not locked or guarded. The Chameleons believe in emergency exits."

Cla nodded curtly. "Take us to the best one to recon the party."

Deela led the way, Cla towering over her and Mina guarding their backs. The door opened easily and Deela glanced inside before beckoning her two companions. They stood in a darkened corner, scanning the crowd.

"There." Mina, keenest-sighted in the dark, pointed a sharpened claw.

Cla pushed her aside and glowered at the sight of Alex and the brothers .

"Look at her, the filthy mammal," Cla said. "She consorts with those three magnificent males and has neither branded them or collared them. Disgusting."

"It works in your favor," Mina said. "Without collar or brand, they are ours for the taking."

Cla casually back-handed her. "You think me a coward for not wanting to fight for these males?"

Mina briefly brushed the blood off her muzzle. "Of course not."

"And those Chameleons! Treating her like an equal in their sickly way, those weaklings. Makes me want to eviscerate her and serve them her intestines to eat." Cla raked her claws through the air as if doing so.

Deela and Mina exchanged glances.

"And saving that disgusting Council President with his mealy-mouth about peace and justice! She challenges our supremacy as an empire just as he does." Cla glared at Alex again.

"Those males are well-muscled. They should produce excellent warrior offspring," Deela said. "Even the smallest of them is the size of one of us."

Cla snorted like an angry dragon. "We shall have to blind them to keep them in line."

"Oh, I want those melting brown eyes looking up at me as he services me." Mina leered at the brothers.

Deela nudged her in the ribs. "Excellent point. I'll merely cut off the leg of mine."