Long Away

Freddie's ceremony was held 2 weeks after his death.

Timothy tried every day to comfort me, but he understands that it's hard for me.

I was so close to Freddie, almost as close to him as he was to mum.

Brian, John, Timothy, Roger, mum and I sat around his grave all in black.

The cremation was done, but I couldn't stop crying.

"Chelsea, do you have any words to say about Freddie?" John asked.

I nodded, walking forward.

"Freddie was one of the bestest friends I could ever ask for. I recently found out he was my father, I don't think of him any differently than I did before. I always thought of him as a father figure, I loved him and still do and he loved me and he still does. I feel his spirit with us." I turned to Brian.

"Brian, finish that song for Freddie. Please."

Brian nodded.

"Freddie trusted me as a writer and had many hopes for me in the music industry, in which he was right. Freddie taught me all I know in music. He taught me everything. When I was sad, he held me, and we always had silly times. We didn't care about our age difference, we still joked around like kids and also joked around like adults."

I turned to my mum, "I'm sorry, but Freddie has at least given me two glasses of champagne before. But I don't regret that, it was delicious"

Mum smirked.

"I remember a time when Freddie dropped ice cream on my feet, and he started laughing until I poured ice cream on his head. That was an ice cream war, one of the first" I laughed.

"I believe Freddie doesn't want us to be sad, but to be happy. The past ten years of my life, I've lived by the advice of choosing. It's the choices that make us who we are today..."

I took a deep breath, tears starting to fall.

"I hate to admit this but, even Freddie chose this. He chose to die... Because he decided his time had come and so he stopped taking his medication. No matter what anybody said. And in that progress he became stronger and stronger, no matter how weak he looked in the end, he was a strong man. He sang all his emotions out throughout his years. And he gave it his all, no regrets, no apologies, nothing. He loved what he did, and I bet if he had a chance, he'd do it all again.. But maybe choose a different ending..."

The sky turned bright, as a ray of sun shined down on me.

I smiled weakly, "For now on, we shouldn't be sad for Freddie. We should be happy for his life and celebrate it everyday. Thank god we have his voice, thank goodness we can always remember him.." 

I looked up, "I just want to say.. Freddie.. I love you so much, and I thank you for everything. And I know we'll meet again someday. But for now on, go on up there and jam out with John Lennon... for Us!" I smiled weakly.

"Thank you.." I looked around.

Everyone smiled at me as they wiped away their tears. 

I finally feel a little free.

It's also comforting to know that Freddie is looking down on me. Even if I can't see him, he'll always be guiding me.

Thank you, Freddie..

Thank you.