Chapter Twenty-Seven - Regrets

The wish to run was nagging at me, chipping away at me until it's all I willed to suffer. I couldn't just proceed to stand here and allow insults to be thrown backward and forwards at me- Uma, the pirate crew, even commoners from the street who heard the commotion began to join in with my public ridiculing but there was one person who remained silent the entire time. Usually boisterous, wayward and at intervals, vexatious but now he bides restrained, watching the scene happening to his girlfriend without interference. It's as if... As if he doesn't care.

So I surrendered to my nagging whim as I watched which path could leave me to safety. The path left from the docks seemed clear and it eventually loops back around into the mainland of the isle, where I wish to make my residence- back upon the roof that I visited greatly as a child.

"You're a traitor! Melanie! Go back to your prissy princess life with your royal schoolmates and maybe one day you'll turn out like your mother!" Uma roared, motioning her cutlass in the air towards Auradon.
"Of course Uma! It's not like you ever cared! All you ever wanted me for was for your reputation and since then you've been waiting for a slip up so that you can seem more powerful than the Maleficent household. Well, I applaud you. Because by seeking out this gluttonous authority, you are pushing away everybody close to you!" I countered as I took multiple strides forwards and challenged her authority, I couldn't just run off straight away- I'd look like a coward.

Uma's eyes narrowed towards me and a growl of resentment was released from her lips as if she was a volcano about to erupt, and before that was to happen- I decided to make my departure. To my left was a railing which seemed strong enough to take my weight so I swiftly clambered on the top of the metal and leaped over the narrow gap between here and the dusty pebbled pathway inland.

The route was easily recognizable as in the past I had frequently visited the memorable rooftop, take a left at the old 'bank' that really wasn't a good idea for the beast to attempt to constitute the isle with Auradon commodities. Once you get to the alleyway where a graphitized warning sign lay to rest, you must climb the nearest window sill and scale up to the congregated metal atop of the building.

The building that I was currently stationed on was where I would reside after harsh arguments with my mother and sister. Up here, seconds seem so reluctant to pass and the bitter evening air blew straight through my leather pirate coat. Just across the roof is an unbroken chimney stack, just over a meter each way that I have covered with a black tarpaulin. A perfect size for young Melanie to shield herself from her hurtful family and maybe a perfect size for teenage Melanie to shield herself from her distrusting friends.

I lifted back the plastic so that I could climb into the blocked chimney to keep warmth, it was just as I had left it when I was younger. Multiple tattered blankets and curtains still lay strewn at the bottom where it was blocked and safe to sit on, maybe it is best to get some rest because trying to reconcile with Harry was a lot more difficult than expected- maybe even impossible.

Being with Harry was the first time I ever felt complete. He never leaves my mind, he's always hiding in plain sight, whether it was meager, almost indistinct habits that I noticed about him within others in Auradon such as curt and consistent smirks towards his friends, soft and slurred vocals when he's tired or feeling playful... It's just incomprehensible. He's my one stable force, my one stability in a world filled with chaos and I so desperately need that in my life.

Tugging at the black plastic that covers the top of the brick, I let it slip in an attempt to watch the misty isle sun slowly set past the cracked and broken rooftops. The bitter, chilling wind instantaneously enveloped my body, sending shivers down my spine and causing me to pull my coat closer to my body. Should I really still wear this? If I'm no longer in Uma's pirate crew then am I still even a pirate? I looked down at the deep purple of my coat looked back up at me as if it was staring daggers into my corneas and relighting the memories that it brought with it. Every word that stung only fuelling the fire that was beginning to flare.

As midnight approached, I pulled away from the little sleep that I had and decided to travel across the isle. It was an old habit that I used to follow to cool down or pass the time and right now I couldn't even picture being around another islander. Rubbing my eyes and stretching my back, I arose from the chimney and slowly ambled towards the right edge that watches out to sea, I was well aware now. From noticing the precise crunches of strained crunches from the gravel beneath my feet, to the estranged chiming of bells from the docks. I could feel the thin hairs on my arm stand on edge in a feeble attempt to warm my frozen body but I had thrown my pirate coat to the side- refusing to wear such thing when I am classed a 'traitor.' I clearly meant nothing to them.

The icy wind running through my hair felt brought me a feeling as if I had never left, I knew this was my home and that'll never change- ignoring the fake friends and self-centered tyrants. With one hand, I reached out to grab onto the remains of a steel girder and pulled my body up to meet it, swiftly wrapping my leg over and continuing across the next rooftop where it simply took a minute leap to the rooftop over that.

I know that this wouldn't help, that the only way I can make things heal is with time or speech but what's the point in trying when all else leads to failure?

__________________________________________________________

Thank you all for all of the birthday messages! I know this chapter is super late but I have been busy with exams, I hope you all like this chapter x
- Anon x