50. Reading of the Will

Start from the beginning

"She was very emotional," Neville said. "Gran said she was foolish to fall in love with a muggle."

Harry smiled as he moved to the next pedestal.

"Amoura's Pendant," Harry read. "Who's Amoura?"

"No idea," Neville said. "I think that's where the music is coming from though."

Harry nodded; mesmerized by the way the red ruby caught the soft light. Neville had moved off to look at the books.

Harry moved to the last pedestal. There was an empty ring box sitting on it. Harry wondered what had been in it, and where it was now. He wandered back to the pendant, and stood staring at it, allowing the music to wash over him.

"So, where do you think Mr. Ollivander is?" Neville asked, breaking Harry's train of thought.

He reluctantly moved away from the pendant, but it felt like it was calling him.

"I don't know," Harry said as he scanned the room. There was only one door in and out of this room.

"Hey, Harry, take a look! There's a whole shelf of books about phoenixes," Neville said.

Harry looked at the titles, and realized Neville was right. He studied them for a moment, and then took the feather and ran it along the spines of the books. Neville jumped as the entire shelf began to move, revealing a second room behind it. Harry stepped through it, into a very comfortable looking flat. There was a workstation off to one side, near what appeared to be a window. Hunched over in a chair with his back to the two friends, was Mr. Ollivander.

"I have been waiting for you, Mr. Potter," he said without even looking up.

Harry moved towards the table as Mr. Ollivander spun around on his stool and held out his hand. Wordlessly, Harry placed the feather in his hand, and Mr.Ollivander closed his eyes, running his fingers up and down the feather.

"Hello there," he murmured. "Yes, yes, you will be great."

Harry watched in amazement, as the feather seemed to come alive.

"Tsk. Such vanity," Mr. Ollivander said. "Know your place."

The feather quivered once more and became still. Mr. Ollivander looked up at Harry.

"Give me one hour," he said, and turned his back on the boys.

Harry and Neville headed for the door, when Harry stopped.

"Sir, how are we to get back in without the feather?"

Mr. Ollivander sighed irritably and got up from his workbench. He went into another room, and they could hear him rummaging around and muttering about "interruptions". He came out a moment later and handed Harry a key on a chain, shapes like a feather.

"Try not to lose it, will you?" he said before ignoring them once again.

The two boys left, and as they past through the Room of Enchantment, Harry walked slowly by the pendant again. There was something about it...

"Lets go, Harry," Neville said. "I don't want to be late."

They headed back towards the elevator and punched the button for the fourth floor. After arriving, they walked down the hall between the many cubicles until they came to a door marked "Goblin Liaison Office", and underneath that, "Gringott's". They knocked, and a goblin opened the door and bade them to enter.

"Mr. Sandhill will see you in a moment," he said. "Please take a seat."

Harry and Neville sat in front of the biggest desk Harry had ever seen. On the wall behind it were several pictures of a large man posing and shaking hands with a variety of people, some that Harry recognized as being famous or in a position of power. Harry got the sense that this was a man who thought very highly of himself.