48. The Giving of a Gift

Harry arrived back at his common room after lunch to find Albion sitting on his perch. He was surprised, since quite often the phoenix didn't come home until late in the evening.

"No parties today?" Harry teased as he flopped down on the couch. He was still a bit sore from today's session with Moody.

"On the contrary, it is a very special day," Albion said.

Harry looked up from the pillow he was laying on.

"Oh?"

"Today is Giving Day. That's why I'm here," Albion said.

"What's Giving Day?" Harry asked.

"It is the one day in a phoenix's life that he may bestow a Wand Feather upon the witch or wizard of his choosing."

"So, is that what Fawkes did for you? I mean, did he give one to you in your former life?" Harry asked, sitting up.

"Yes."

Harry frowned. "I don't understand. Ollivander said that Fawkes only gave two feathers, and one of them is in my wand. Do I have your wand...I mean, Dumbledore's wand?"

Albion looked at Harry and slowly blinked.

"I suppose you deserve to hear the whole story," Albion said.

Harry sat back and folded his arms across his chest.

"Yes," he said.

Albion ruffled his feathers and settled on his perch.

"Many years ago, when I was about your age, Fawkes gifted me with a Wand Feather on Giving Day. At the time, I was young and foolish, and did not treasure it, as I should. I knew it was priceless, but since I already had a wand, I didn't feel the need to rush off and have another one made. I left it on my dresser, where someone saw it."

"Who?"

"Someone who I thought was a friend. He also knew the value of a phoenix feather, and offered to buy it from me."

"So you sold it," Harry said.

"No. I didn't. Grindewald was quite upset with me."

"Grindewald? Wait a minute; his name was on your chocolate frog card! You fought him!"

"Sadly, you are correct, but that's a story for another day."

"So how did—"

"Patience! I'm getting to that. You need to understand the importance of Giving Day. When a phoenix bestows a feather upon a wizard, not only is he giving a piece of his magical core, but also he is giving it out of love and respect. This, combined with a wizard's magic can create an incredibly powerful wand."

"So how did Grindewald get the wand?" Harry asked.

Albion cocked his head and looked at Harry. "How can I finish my story if you keep interrupting me?"

Harry held up his hands in resignation.

"As I said, Grindewald was very angry with me. However, I underestimated my friend. He was determined to have a phoenix feather."

"He stole it?" Harry asked. "Sorry," he said, as he swore the phoenix frowned at him.

"He did something far worse. He took a feather from Fawkes."

"But I've seen Fawkes give you feathers before," Harry said.

"Those feathers, are what you would call normal phoenix feathers. Wand Feathers are different, and to take a feather not freely offered is a violation of some of our oldest laws. The Wand Feather becomes tainted, and quite often favors dark magic. Grindewald had a thirst for power, as I later found out, and channeled that desire into trying to rule our world."