14. Disclosure and Discussions

The next morning Harry woke up in a really good mood. He had a plan and that made him happy. By the time he showered and dressed in his black T-shirt and jeans, he was the last one out of the room. He went down to the Great Hall to find Ron and Hermione having breakfast with Lupin and Tonks.

"Morning," he said as he sat down.

"Morning, Mate," replied Ron through mouthfuls of food.

Hermione, he noticed, didn't look up. She was reading the Daily Prophet and frowning.

"What's wrong, Hermione?" Harry asked, trying to get her attention. He wanted to see what her eyes said this morning.

"Death Eaters were seen at Beaubaxtons yesterday, and the groundskeeper and a teacher are missing. The students weren't there yet, and there was no damage to the school. That doesn't make sense. Why just take a groundskeeper and a teacher? The attack would have had a greater impact on the Wizarding world if he had attacked while the students were there," she couldn't figure it out. Hermione refused to look at Harry. She wasn't sure how to act around him this morning.

Ron shrugged. "Maybe he got his dates mixed up?"

Hermione glared at him. "Honestly, Ron, sometimes you are so dense. Do you really think that one of the most cunning wizards would make that kind of mistake?"

"Hey! I was just trying to help! Why are you snapping at me?" he asked.

"I'm not! I'm just...Oh never mind! Harry, you need to talk to Professor Lupin," Hermione snapped as she grabbed her paper and stomped off.

"What's got her knickers in a twist?" asked Ron.

Harry watched her go and shrugged. He figured that he had a good idea.

"So, Harry, what did you want to talk to me about?" Professor Lupin asked.

"I...I mean, we want to go to Godric's Hollow. I'm not too sure where we need to go. I thought maybe you could direct us."

Lupin sat back with a pained expression on his face.

"Why?" he asked quietly.

"I just feel like I need to go there. I need to see where it all began. Something tells me I need to see my Mum and Dad's house. I don't even know where they are buried! I've never been there," Harry replied.

"Well, if you're going, I am going with you. I don't think you should be there alone. We don't know if it's been booby-trapped, or...none of us have been there for years..." he finished in a whisper. The clinking of cutlery against dishes was the only sound in the Great Hall as Lupin relived painful memories. "We will have to discuss this with Professor McGonagall of course," he said after a moment.

"That's fine," said Harry. "I need to meet with all of you anyway. Professor Dumbledore told me to talk to the three of you."

"Well, it will have to be in about an hour. I believe she is in a meeting right now with some of the past Headmasters."

"That's okay with me," Harry got up. "I'll meet you at her office."

"Where are you going, mate?" asked Ron.

"To find Hermione. I think I need to talk to her."

"Do you want me to come, you know, in case she blows her stack again?" asked Ron.

"No, it will be fine," smiled Harry.

"Good luck," muttered Ron, "you're going to need it."

Harry left the Great Hall and headed back to their common room. He didn't find her there, so he dug out his Marauder's map.