Nine

Nine
• • •

"Michael," The Lord called, "Your time has come."

Michael drew his sphere and ordered the remaining army to arise in the name of the Lord. This had been the fateful day when the Heavens shook in war and sadness.

All the warrior angels gathered behind their commanders, after the others had exited the hall, while I stood motionless and shaking, with tears in my eyes as Joel had started to walk towards Michael.

"Xachariel?" Joel looked back and called.

I couldn't meet his eyes. For the very first time in all these eons, I'd wished I never existed.

"Why are standing still?" He asked.

I slowly lifted my tearful eyes up at him and glanced at Lucifer. Joel's face morphed in agony and shock, staring at me speechless.

"Xachariel, you belong with me," Lucifer called.

I looked up at Lucifer, who was now standing with his army. I began to step up towards him when I felt Michael's hand grasp my arm to stop me. My heart ached in response and I shed more tears.

"What are you thinking, Xachariel?!" Michael reprimanded me. "He's your doom!"

"I have to go, brother. I have pledged my loyalty to Lucifer. I did not know, but I have to go," I wept.

"You don't have to go!" For the first time I saw fear and tears in Michael's eyes too.

"Xachariel!!" Lucifer called again. "Let him go, Michael. A pledge is a pledge. He must come to me."

I pulled off Michael's hand from my arm, dried my tears, and went to stand beside Lucifer, drawing my sword.

Thus, there was war in heaven; metals clashing against metal, brothers against brothers with the rebels' cry everywhere. In the end, Michael struck down Lucifer with his sphere. Lucifer had lost. We were chained and sentenced banishment out of the heavens, forever.

"How are you fallen from heaven, Son of Dawn! You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created until inequity was found in you. Your heart was proud because of your beauty. You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor. So I cast you to the ground. By the multitude of your inequities, in righteousness of your trade, you profaned your sanctuary. You have come to a dreadful end and shall be no more," the Lord declared his decree.

As we followed Michael and the Arch Angels to Heaven's gate, cries of sorrow and pity from those who remained in heaven filled the street as they watched us walk out of Heaven with our hands and feet in chains.

When we reached the The Heaven's Gate which was immeasurable in height, the guards opened the heaven metallic gateway. I'd never come this far from the city before. This place was at the outskirt of Jerusalem and it was so quiet with no inhabitant. With a heavy heart, I looked up the long, golden street that led to the city and saw a lone figure running up the street from afar but I couldn't make out who.

Once we stepped outside the gate, we found ourselves standing on a narrow bridge which was hovering in void. There was darkness everywhere and the only light that could be seen was that of heaven through the gate.

Michael, who was standing in remorse just at the gate, spoke, "We all have heard the Lord's Judgement. You are therefore cast out of Heaven and banished to the underworld."

Just as Michael spoke those words, the bridge immediately shook and we heard cries of agony from the back. I was standing beside Lucifer at the front. We looked back. The bridge was crumbling off and the fallen angels were falling into the void one after the other.

I looked at Michael, who was standing just beside the gate.

So this is our farewell, dear brother.

"Be strong, Xachariel. This is just the beginning of my reign," Lucifer said.

The bridge continued to crumble off and I heard Vera's voice call me. I looked up the street of heaven through the gate and there was Vera, running up the street and calling out for me.

Vera!

I felt my being move towards her instinctively. Lucifer grasped my arm, stopping me, and the guards of heaven blocked me. It wasn't until this moment that it clearly dawned on me that from this day forth, I was separated from my dearest friend, Vera, forever.

I couldn't help the tears that instantly sprung into my eyes, burning me inside out.

"Xachariel!" She called again, running up towards me, her tender feet supporting her with everything they could. It broke my heart and pained me beyond words to see her ever cheerful face, tear-stained.

The bridge shook ever more violently and I found myself falling into nothingness. She'd just reached the gate and falling to the ground, she held out her arm, reaching out to me and calling my name with tears streaming down her rosy cheeks.

With the last bit of courage and hope, I reached out for her too, calling out her name with all my might and pain. Our finger tips lightly touched and that was all. There was no saviour for me.

"No!!!" She screamed.

I screamed too in heartbreak and agony as I slowly felt my halo burn out and as complete darkness swallowed me whole, the sight of Vera and Michael diminishing from my sight as I fell farther and farther from them, until there was nothing left.

Oh, how have you fallen, Xachariel, you who were innocent and blameless in your ways. This was never what you wished for.

• • •

So that is another chapter. Thank you so much for waiting patiently. Hope you enjoyed the story.

Do vote and comment what you think!

Love, Hermyne.