Alex mentally snapped at it, "Shut up! You pop out of nowhere and irritate me to no end! You're my past and I want nothing to do with you!"

Remember to access the training when you need it.

Alex sighed in defeat and decided to be glad the voice was infrequent.

Gabe broke into her reverie. "Enough. Into the portal."

*****

Once through, they looked over a southwest desert terrain. Towering red rock formations dotted the landscape full of sand and scrub bushes. Tall columnar cacti stood watch over the valley below.

The cliffs showed grey-and-red bands along their faces. The sky above was a panorama of brilliant blue. The heat wasn't as unbearable as the Painted Desert and the sun was midway down the horizon. A desert breeze smelled like a garden of cactus, prickly gourd, and sage.

Alex was reminded of Cathedral Rock from Red Rock Crossing. She frowned at the thought that she had been in Arizona.

No thinking about the past. Ever. Who knew what horrors might have happened in Arizona?

They looked down upon the town in the shimmering heat. There was a small city with squat, red rock buildings no more than two stories tall, complete with dirt roads and carriages drawn by gleaming desert mustangs. 

A small, turquoise-blue river snaked in a desultory manner on the edge of the town, while cultivated corn, squashes, and valerian grew on the other side.

"We'll learn ever so much standing out here." Rile started down the gentle slope for the town.

***

Gabe quickly took the lead while Alex gawked at the scenery and Cale and Rile scanned for trouble. A hot dry wind blew sand into Alex's teeth but it also carried a light, floral honey scent this time.

When Alex looked closer, the source was bright pink-purple flowers on scrub plants with oval, dark-green leaves.

As they skirted a building, they heard voices. They looked around the corner, saw who was talking, and stared at the three humanoid draconic figures.

"I hate staying here. I want to be with the others," one figure said.

"Just smile and wave." The figure swayed her hand gently back and forth high up in the air.

"They look like you," Alex whispered to the brothers. "We must be back on your home world."

The khaki-green creatures turned around. They sported impressive tails.

"Or not." Alex ducked back around the corner.

I'm the alien here.

"Why can I understand them? Surely they can't be speaking English," Alex whispered to Cale, her best shot at an answer without anger or scorn.

"Don't call me'Shirley '," Cale whispered back with a smile. "It's part of the Calling. We're given the language of wherever we're Called."

"Did you think we were hatched speaking English with an American accent?" Rile mocked.

Alex realized that Rile never missed anything. Whispering only alerted him to eavesdrop.

Jerk. I'll show him who's a Guardian.

"Alex, step back further into the alley and flatten against the wall," Gabe ordered.

She did, but not happily. At least, not until she heard voices from even farther down the alley. Now she could listen to a different conversation that the brothers couldn't.