Chapter Twenty-Four

I screeched into the café parking lot, finding a spot in the furthest corner. It was mine and Laura’s café, and it was time for an emergency “life session.”

I’d told my parents I’d be staying late at work for a meeting, but even so I’d specified an eight p.m. arrival time. Tick tock.

The snowfall from earlier in the day had given way to a clear night sky. As usual, clear night skies meant the temperature had dropped almost ten degrees. I was reminded of this as I jogged to the entrance with the wind whipping hard at my face.

I finally slowed my pace as I took a good look inside.

The place was packed to the brim…how long would it take for a table to open up?

Screw this.

I ordered something extra non-fat for Laura, some triple-caramel action for myself (stressed out, need sugar), and scurried back over to my car.

Before I could open my door, Laura’s blueberry-coloured jeep pulled into the parking lot, so I ran right up to her passenger side.

She reached over and opened the door with surprise, as I handed her the drinks and hopped into the seat.

“It’s way too noisy to talk in there. And also I love how your jeep smells. Okay?”

“Okay! And thank you!” She smiled at her latte and passed me mine.

“So,” she began. “Your e-mail and voicemail were very detailed, and I’ve had some time to think it over.”

I took a long whiff of my caramel latte. “I just hope you can give me the sane perspective. All my ideas equal what I want but sound insane.”

“Let’s review the most important one first,” she said, with a face more serious than anything I’d ever seen.

“Yeah?”

“You’re not going to a big scary city to meet an Internet acquaintance by yourself. There’s NO WAY I’m letting you do that.”

I slumped my shoulders and turned away. I knew this was crazy.

“Unless I come along to watch your back.”

I gasped. “But how?”

“What do you mean? I buy a ticket, hop on a plane, share a room with you…just like that.” She smiled.

“But I can’t just leave you alone while I’m out having fun with James! I mean assuming we have fun and all that.” I suddenly felt sweaty in my big winter coat.

“Are you kidding Romes? I go to New York whenever I can! I’ve spent lots of days exploring on my own…and come on, the amazing Christmas shopping?” She grinned and took a sip of her drink.

Well that was easy. At least for her it was anyway, but what about me?

“I’d need a good excuse…” I mused. “To make it sound legit.”

“Dude, how bad is your memory? You’ve been to New York twice for legitimate work trips. I remember because HELLO, I was there! So why don’t you make one up this time?”

I rubbed my left temple but the stress seemed to grow. “Laura, I’ve never lied that much before. Not even close.”

“You think they’ll figure it out?”

I placed my drink in the cup-holder and sighed. “It’s not even about that really. I actually don’t like lying to them, as hard as that is to believe. Every time I do it the guilt weighs me down a little, but what’s the alternative?”