A Very Glee Christmas

Start from the beginning

Blaine's mind was really confused; but one thing he knew for sure: he didn't want to be far from Kurt. Was Wes right and Kurt was really interested in him? They had sung a million duets together but nothing quite as flirty. Was that just Kurt interpreting the song or did he meant something else?

He liked the way Kurt could mix being innocent with teasing while singing this song. Kurt could really add soul to it. Was Kurt trying to tell him something? Well, the important part was how Blaine felt about it. He liked the idea of Kurt fancying him; it was quite flattering. However, he didn't imagine himself dating Kurt.

No! There were friends. Of course he pictured Kurt in a different kind of friendship than he had with Wes and David. Kurt understood him better; Kurt felt the same things he felt. He wanted to protect Kurt; keep him safe from all that have been bothering him. Kurt was fragile and he wanted to be there to help his friend in anything he needed. That's what friends are for.

Now, Blaine was trapped in rehearsal with this girl singing a little bit off key and with the sensuality of a snail. The pianist was practicing alone with her and Blaine was taking more time than he needed to drink water on the corridor.

There was something about the way the girl was flirty with him during the song that just wasn't right. Maybe it was just because he was gay; but there was something else. He had acted opposed to girls in romantic scenes before. He was comfortable around girls as an actor. However, the way he had sung with Kurt had been different.

Ok, enough of this! He was not developing a crush on his best friend! It was just the holiday season making him emotional. Or maybe that was the sign he was ready to start dating again. Maybe he could find someone nice to spend New Year's Eve with. Although, David had said something about planning a Warblers' party and Kurt said he was considering going.

Well, now he had more urgent deals to take care of: facing another hour of rehearsal with Ms. Tuneless.

*

Going shopping with Mr. Schuester was the mood buster Kurt needed. Even if it was to buy Sue Sylvester a gift. He advised Mr. Schue to get her a track suit with a fur-lined hood and took him to the right sports goods store.

Mr. Schue offered Kurt a ride home, but he had his car and wanted to buy something for his dad and something fabulous to wear at Christmas Eve. They said their good-byes and Kurt went wandering around in the Mall.

His mind was running about what he should do to keep in touch with his friends from New Directions and the way he was getting closer to the Warblers. It was strange how he was slowly growing apart from Mercedes and growing closer to Rachel, for instance. It was a bit annoying the feeling he had that made him want to call her, especially now that she and Finn were in a weird place in their relationship. And Finn! In some mysterious way, Kurt really considered Finn his brother. They hadn't been living together for that long, but surely there was a felling there. Maybe he should buy Finn something.

Kurt realized he was checking out some bow-ties in display. He was attracted to a small striped one. It was really cute; but the colors would totally collapse with Kurt's complexion. It would work against Blaine's skin.

About Blaine; Kurt wished he hadn't blushed while singing with him this afternoon. It was the first romantic duet they had sung together and Kurt's feelings had gone everywhere. Blaine was so dreamy, but Kurt now knew better that Blaine simply wasn't interested in him. However, after today's duet, Kurt had said out loud that he was in love with him. And, let's face it, it was the truth.

Kurt was in love with his best friend who just saw him as, well, his best friend. If only Kurt still believed in Santa, he certainly knew what he would ask. Screw that, Kurt would just give Blaine a Christmas present and give himself a present by going to watch Blaine perform at the gig he got.

*

Blaine was absolutely delighted that Kurt went to see him at the Christmas Spectacular. No one else had shown up. Not that he was particularly proud of it (Alicia Monist had murdered the song). Anyway, it was nice to see Kurt's smiling face waiting for him at stage door:

"Kurt! I didn't know you were coming."

"It was kind of a last minute decision. I didn't want to give you expectations if I didn't know if I'd be able to finish all the work I had to do."

"I'm glad you came. Even if I still think you would have being much better than that girl."

Kurt blushed and pulled Blaine by the arm:

"Are you crazy? What if one of her friends hears you? You don't know who those people around us are."

Blaine was super conscious of Kurt's hand holding his arm and, suddenly, Kurt appeared to be as well. He abruptly put it away:

"Anyway, I found it quite good. You sounded amazing."

Blaine hadn't had the courage to keep eye contact. Somehow, knowing that Kurt had gone there just to see him as making him shy:

"Thank you. It was really nice of you coming all the way just to watch me."

Kurt opened an irresistible smile:

"Actually, I also wanted to give you your present before Christmas' Eve."

Kurt handled him a small bag with a card that just said: "From Kurt, To Blaine". It was a small stripped bow-tie. Blaine smiled as he ran his fingers on it to feel the cloth:

"You really didn't have to bother."

"It was no bother at all."

"I loved it. Thank you."

Blaine hugged his friend and definitively felt different. It was the first time Kurt was "taking care" of him and not the other way around. It felt good to know someone cherished him.

*

It was Christmas' Eve and Kurt was in his room finishing getting his hair done. His phone ringed announcing a new message. He went to check and it was from Blaine:

"Merry Christmas. I didn't want to bother your Christmas dinner but I'd like to tell you I'm wearing my new tie. I feel bad I hadn't got you anything but I'll sure compensate you on your birthday.

XXXXX

Blaine"

Kurt smiled and his eyes took a long time looking at the exes in the end of the message. He typed an answer and sent it before he could regret:

"I'm glad you liked it and you don't have to compensate me for anything. I can buy you a gift if I feel like, can't I?

Anyway, Merry Christmas!!!

XXXXXX

Love, Kurt"

Pavarotti chirped in his cage.

"You see, Pav, he says he hasn't got me anything but he forgets he was the one who gave me my smile back. Best Christmas Ever!"