Chapter 35: "I Quit!"

Start from the beginning

"I feel like I haven't seen Mom in days," I said as she styled my hair.

"Well, she's busy at work," she answered.

"Hmm."

It took thirty minutes to complete the overall look. The dress hugged my body in all the right places and it fit like a second skin. My sister's phone was blowing up on the bed. She went to it while I looked in the mirror and smiled to myself.

"Umm, Jassy," my sister got my attention. "Have you seen this?"

"Seen what?" I asked, fear coming into the pit of the stomach again, instantly.

"This." She handed me her phone.

There was a picture of Jessica in a pair of underwear in Evan's bedroom. She was sitting on the bed, making a kissy face selfie to the camera. She had posted it on Instagram and captioned it
#AboutLastNight
#NightWithBae
#TheNextMrs.Hollen
#Forever

What the Fu**!

He was lying to me and was still having sex with Jessica behind my back!

"When was this?" I asked, sadness mixed with anger in my voice.

"She posted it this morning. See the time there?"

My brain was taking a detour in my head.

"And she posted this one hour ago," Zenia added, handing me the phone again.

Jessica was dressed in an elegant white dress.

#ToBae'sGala
#ANightForUs

"BUT HE SAID HE WASN'T INVITING HER!" I screamed and stomped my feet. I tossed the phone back to my sister and went out the door. I had zero intention of waiting on one of his drivers to come fetch me. I glanced down at my wrist watch: 7:03 pm. The gala was starting at 8:00 p.m. I boarded a 7:10 pm bus to the gala.

I arrived at a large auditorium building. Gold carpet, paparazzi and gossip columnist lined the entrance. My name was being called from the massive and thick crowd with flashes of light from the cameras blinding me until I got closer to the entrance and was ushered inside the building with the help of two security guards.

I walked through the room. A big chandelier hung from the ceiling in all its delightful glory. Tables and chairs designed with white and gold cloths made me feel unworthy of even being in here.

The place was swarming with people and I was certain I had seen Beyonce and her husband.

My eyes scanned the crowd for him.

I smiled politely as a waitress handed me a flute of champagne. I drank it hastily to calm my burning nerves and my anger. Then, I spotted him in a far corner with Jessica clinging onto his shoulder.

Oh hell no! He can't be doing this to me!

"Hi there, beautiful," a voice startled me. I turned around and saw a smiling Bradley. His eyes roamed my body as he licked his lips.

"Hi Bradley," I answered coldly.

"What's the matter?" he asked, stepping closer to me and giving me a small hug.

I stepped back from him as Evan's words echoed through my head. "I don't want you being friends with him!"

But why should I even listen to Evan when he was very busy with Jessica in the corner, and was even busier with her last night?

Maybe that's why he didn't bother to even call me!

"I'm fine," I answered, snatching another flute of champagne from a passing waiter.

After downing it in one gulp, I went to use the washroom. I had to get myself together.

______________
Evan's POV

"You wish to test me Jessica?" I asked as I pushed her hands away from me for the umpteenth time. She desperately wanted to give that impression to the people here that she and I were still a thing.

"Evan, are you serious about her?" she asked, referring to Jasmine.

"Yes I am."

"So it doesn't bother you that she's still entertaining her ex-boyfriend? Someone even saw them together at Jem's Cafe."

"Jessica, I already told you to stay out of our business! She's not like you!"

I pushed passed her and scanned the room for my girlfriend. I had received a text from my driver, who was supposed to pick her up, saying she had already left when he got there. And that was about half an hour ago. She should be here anytime now.

"Well, if it isn't the man of the hour," a sarcastic voice said behind me.

I turned on the heel of my leather shoes and came at a close range with Bradley.

"What are you doing here? You weren't invited!" I semi-shouted.

"Oh I'm just here with my date."

"And who might that unlucky woman be?"

"Ha! It's Jasmine. The one you're trying to woo but you're failing miserably."

My blood came to a boil. "Stay away from her Bradley."

"Are you going to stop me, bro? It's so funny how you're trying to follow exactly in your father's pathetic footsteps. You're trying your all to wife up another black woman because your father married your low-budget mother!"

The punch he received sent him crashing over a table and he hit the floor. Blood poured from his lips and my hand ached.

The entire room got quiet, even the music from the live band came to a halt.

"What the hell!" I heard a female voice said as she came over to Bradley's side. She dropped to his level and pulled him to his feet. It was when she turned and looked at me I saw it was Jasmine. Her eyes flared at me.

"Don't even tell me you're about to take up for this clown," I said to her, studying the look on her face.

"Why don't you go back to your wife-to-be and entertain her some more like what you were doing last night!" she blasted.

"Jasmine, what are you even talking about?" I asked but she moved over to Bradley and shielded him with her arms. They took slow steps away from me. "Jasmine, you're not leaving with him! If you take one more step with that---"

"What are you going to do?" she said and walked up to me like she was challenging me to a fight. "Are you going to end us? Go ahead! As far as I'm concerned we never even started! And are you going to fire me? Don't even bother, because I QUIT!"

She turned on her heels and left with Bradley on her arms.

_________________

A/N

😮😧

*Sigh.*