22) Dinner & Trouble

Start from the beginning

"Elia, come next me"

"You should stop calling your aunt by that nickname," Granny said grumbly.

That sentence! Aw, how many memories does it bring? When Mama used to tell me that because of Meg and even Cecelia once told me that. They always liked to embarrass me. But no, I will not allow Granny to embarrass Jane like they used to embarrass me.

"And no one should make decisions for me but you do not find me complaining," I said with a daring tune.

I smoothed Jane's hair, "and I have to say that I prefer Elia over my real name"

Jane looked at me and gave a smile that made her cheeks redden more.

"Then why don't you call your aunt with her nickname?" Granny asked bitterly with a raised eyebrow.

"I was never close to Aunt Mildred," I said then I looked at my aunt to find her blushing and looking downwards as always, "would you like me to call you Mildred in the future?"

She looked at me with widened eyes and blushed even more, "um, um"

"Of course not," granny shouted, "isn't it outrageous enough that you call Mrs. Philips by her first name?"

"I do not mind," Meg said with the least of care that she could give.

The return of My Meg.

"I think that the decision is up to Aunt Mildred or should I call you Mildred, from now on?" I said looking hopefully at my aunt.

"Of course, she would hate it," Granny shouted. But Mildred smiled, "actually, I would like that if we become closer to each other"

I grinned. That would shut Granny up.

"Mildred Brown, how could you disobey me?" She asked with wide eyes and an angry tone.

Or make her angrier.

"I am not disobeying you, mother," she replied with some anger, "I have lived all my life estranging myself from people but I am done with that"

"Mildred!" Granny shouted with widened eyes.

"What, mother? What do you want?" She shouted as if she has been storing a million stories inside her heart since the day she was born, "I have done everything you wanted with a shut mouth. Marrying an old man, hiding Bernard and killing myself slowly. For God's sake, I am a grown up woman and I have a married child. Leave me be, for once in your life"

Granny was speechless and she was not the only one. Everyone looked at Mildred as if she was a ghost. It was the first time that Aunt Mildred complained about anything.

I grinned and my legs starting going back and fro as if I was still a child then, I called, "Miss Denton!"

Jane looked at me with wondering eyes.

"What do you think about adding a new member to our playgroup?" I said with excitement.

She raised her little arms up, "Agree"

I looked at Mildred, "Would you like that, Aunt... I mean, would you like that, Mildred?"

She grinned, "I would love it"

"Welcome to the group," I said standing up and extending my hand.

"Thank you," she said shaking it with a wide smile.

All of that happened before serving dinner. Once we sat down again, they began serving it.

"Your servants surely take their time," Granny told Meg. I think she was trying to regain her posture again.