Their Paid Girl - Part 34

En başından başla

          His last sentence brought back the familiar heat; I hated how easily I always blushed.

          “I—you’re mistaken,” I automatically told the ground. Liam snorted.

          “Yeah, okay, Shawna.”

          His tone implied anything but ‘yes’ or ‘okay.’

          I scowled at my hammering heart, and it skipped several beats out of complete fright when a loud banging noise boomed behind me. Whirling, I saw Adam pressed against the lobby’s glass door, not wanting to call the Wells to buzz him in, instead mouthing words at me and pointing at the door.

          “I think he wants you to open it for him,” Liam observed in amusement.

          Cracking a grin, I took my sweet time sauntering over, then stood right in front of him, the wall of glass separating us. I widened my eyes innocently, then pointed at my ears, faking a confused look.

          Adam gave me a flat glance, before inhaling deeply and bellowing, “OPEN THE DAMN DOOR, SHAWNA!”

          I heard him through the glass, only slightly muffled, but I continued shaking my head and mouthing I can’t hear you.

          Adam stood still for a moment before reaching into the portable cooler he had slung over his shoulder, and pulling out a Haagen-Dazs. Then he walked a couple steps over, leaned against the wall, and serenely proceeded to eat his ice cream on a stick.

          Disappointed, I sulkily opened the door for him. He licked off a peanut and winked at me before strolling past with a cheerful, “Waiting on you, now. Come on Shawna, into the elevator.”

          Glancing over my shoulder, I saw Liam holding the elevator open and Adam already inside it. I walked in and waved to Liam, heating up at the pointed wink he sent me right before the doors closed.

          “What are you scarlet about now?” Adam commented on my cheeks, popping the rest of his ice cream into his mouth so that only the stick stuck out.

          I ignored his question, shaking my head in amazement. “What’s with you and ice cream?”

          “We’re seeing each other.”

          “Often?”

          “...Yeah,” Adam admitted, patting his cheese-grater worthy abs.

          The doors slid open and Adam actually held the door for me. Instead of walking out, I stood and stared at him in shock.

          “Oh, I’m sorry,” Adam began sarcastically, “I forgot your invitation to leave the elevator at home.”

          “Dammit, Adam,” I joked. “Now what?”

          He aimed a martyred look at the ceiling. “Move it, Shawna,” he ordered, but I saw the corners of his lips twitch as he followed me out and down the hallway.

          “When did you promise my little brother ice cream, anyway?” I asked as we walked past the doors.

          “When we were playing baseball, I kind of made a bet with the little guy,” Adam replied nonchalantly, swinging the bag behind his body.

          “Wow, you really do corrupt the youthful innocence of those you meet,” I commented. “Not only are you bringing him junk food, but it’s the result of gambling? Lucky that Jaime won; Lord knows what he was supposed to give you otherwise.”