Chapter Five: Beauty Won't Fall

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, you caught me." She shifted her weight on her feet, back and forth, so she became a human rocking chair.

I turned back to the miserable grass, smiling to myself. "What was it this time?"

"Well, remember that time when were kids?" she started.

"There were a lot of times, Rapunzel."

"I mean, when we were at the park." She looked at me, pointing a finger. "You know, the one with the sandbox?"

"Go on."

"You took my shovel, right?" She stretched out her arms to their extent, moving them quickly. "And then you forgot it in the sandbox when it was time to go."

"You're mom called my mom about that."

"Yeah, and I was crying and crying, because it was purple, and it had my favorite little sun sticker on it."

"I'm sorry, okay?"

"I know, I know, but that's not the point." Rapunzel jabbed a finger straight into my chest. "You felt insanely bad, and went to get it."

"So?"

"You were seven."

"So?"

"It was night time."

"So?"

"For crying out loud, Jack!" She pushed me back, letting out a frustrated yell. "It was fricking raining!"

"Okay, okay, sheesh," I agreed, holding my hands up in mock surrender. "Calm down."

"No, Jack." Rapunzel shook her head rapidly. "I won't calm down. Because you don't realize how selfless you are."

"I'm not--"

"Jack, you are, and you always have been," she interjected. She crossed her arms, tilting her head and smirking the same way I had. "Okay?"

"Okay, Your Royal Highness."

"Great. Now be a good little manservant and drop me off at my date."

I rolled my eyes. "Of course. I'll be there in a second."

"Well, I'll be there now." She squinted into the distance, raising her hand to shield herself from the sun. "Where's your car?"

"Waaaay at the end of the driveway."

She groaned. "Are you serious?"

I shrugged. "Hey...I'm sure your date can wait an hour for you to walk there."

"Shut up, Frost."

I chuckled as she stormed off, her mumbles about the length of Merida's driveway passing through my ears.

Okay, grass. Here it comes. I turned to the dry, crackling lawn, lifting my palms to span over the entire field. Moisture escaped my fingertips in the form of my namesake, and it coated each and every water-loving thing for miles around with the cold. After a moment, I lowered my arms, pressing my palms closer and closer towards the ground to force the ice to recede into the soil.

It wasn't the most refreshing blast of cooling winds the grasses could've gotten, but, at the moment, I wasn't able to produce anything stronger and more pleasant. My mind lingered briefly on the image of my beloved staff, leaning idly against the whirled, rough interior of an oak tree. In a different world, I would be gripping that staff, taking it with me to every place I would head off to.

But let's face reality. I'm already an eyesore for the citizens of this town, what with my snowy, spiked hair.

"Thank you, Jack," I voiced, my pitch higher than normal to imitate what I think grass sounds like...if it could speak. I shifted back to my normal voice, lowering it so it was barely audible."Don't mention it."