9. Pasta

Chapter 9

The pasta smells divine. His fork rolls in the plate and juice awaits his throat. He has always loved the pasta in breakfast and heard the maids cringing onto his habit. Sophisticated people have breads, toasts and juices whereas he is another story. He and Khushi would take the seats at breakfast table, dressed in their school uniforms and would shout for Pasta. They would clink the plates with forks in wait of delicious cheese and milk filled pasta plates – more of chicken Alfredo.

One morning she was cramming her last exam of fourth grade while waiting for the favorite pasta. Luckily, Arnav's mother a good tutor and Khushi being in her safe spot would lay around her auntie Kiran to get taught.

"Auntiee..." She bawls for the breakfast while flipping the page of picture description in her notebook.

"Yes, love. It's almost done." Kiran Meer tries to calm her down while dishing the pasta into two plates.

"You would score high, spring. Now, please shut this notebook." Arnav disgusts her habit of digging into books. She has given perfect test last evening to his mother. He is the one who checked and gave her 24.25 marks out of twenty-five.

"I want to make Auntie Kiran extremely happy, Arnav Bhai." Khushi blabbers finalizing her last moment revision. This year her school was changed which is really up to her level. She would not need to cram the repeated lines anymore. Being the girl of fourth class, her English and Mathematics skills are way too enhanced.

"Aahan... Miss. Your English sentence is correct." He praises her treating the worry lines with bliss smile.

"I am learning spoken good, right?" As always she waits to listen from his mouth. His bright and positive smiles inject high level of confidence in her.

"Yes, spring. Now sit back onto the chair. Mom is here." Arnav smiles at her springs. She would hardly stick to her space. Her blasting colors spread chirpiness everywhere.

"Wow..." She rolls the pasta into her fork and savors the good taste.

"Now you would finish this full. Otherwise I am telling you, you will go nervous during exam." Arnav whispers, scaring her. As supposed, his tricky words drive her to lick-clean the plate even though her little tummy was full at half like usual.

"Now, I will score more percentage than you." She skims her small pink tongue to suck her bottom lip and mockingly shows it to her. Happy by her act, she stands up holding her small exams bag, fleeing outside towards her father's car to go to school but not before kissing her auntie Kiran and receiving cheek kiss in return.

"Also endow us with the reason of your smile." Taimor takes the seat beside Arnav, patting his back. It brings Arnav out of memory lane.

He looks around the table and closes eyes to fight with the fact that his Khushi is not on the table beside him. Times passes so fast. It's not their childhood anymore. Now, they are grown. Grown to the point of marriage. The way her family rejected, she must be sitting with hungry stomach. She is like that. She will happily eat the simple pulses fed with love, but if you present her Nihari with anger, she will prefer to stay hungry stomach. How he wishes to feed her with his hands!

"What have you people decided?" He looks up to his parents and grandparents finally stopping to roll the fork.

The emotional state of him has his sage mind shut. Therefore, he has left the action matter onto elders. His action of barging into her home and shouting on top of his lungs that he loves Khushi would surely cause him minus marks.