1. First Encounter and Missing Kitty Cat

Ashley sat down at the café sipping a frappe as she scanned through the latest news, scandals, and gossip on her iPad. She pushed her sunglasses up while Martin—her shadow sat in front of her. Where on earth did Thane find these guys?

"Is everything okay, Miss Johnson?"

"Shhh!" she whispered, her eyes darted around her.

"Call me Suzie," she smiled as Martin rolled his eyes.

"What?!"

"Master Thane would like for you to meet him in an hour."

"Master?"

"Well, he is an heir to a billionaire dynasty."

"I suppose when you put it like that, it makes it so much real."

"Miss Johnson, I assure you this is as real as it gets. From my understanding, you've lived a hard life. It only gets harder Miss. You are going to have to fight to remain at Master Thane's side."

What? Fight?

"I'm telling you this for your own sake. So, prepare yourself."

"Yes, sir!"

She banged her head against the palm of her hand. She didn't mean for that to come out. He sounded like a drill instructor. It wasn't her fault!

"Let's go, Miss. We've dwandled long enough."

Ashley slid into the creamy leather seats of the Audi. She ordered another frappe to the go before leaving the café. Sitting in the backseat, she curled against the window, sipping her drink as her mind raced with thoughts of Thane. She was going to be a Harrington. The thought made her want to vomit. Don't get her wrong, nothing was more satisfying than having a claim to Thane, but this was different. The prestige and wealth that came along with the title was mindboggling.

She'd yet to meet his family. The thought made her want to hurl. What if they thought she was some sort of gold digger?! Luckily, Thane had mentioned bringing her along on a business trip, and she hoped that would be enough to distract her from her impending doom, and the cameras.

I don't want to go!

Her mind screamed mentally as the vehicle came to a stop. Martin parked the car in a parking lot with a private entrance that only Thane had access to. It was another way, he avoided the paps. Smoothing out the skirt hugging her waist, she dug into her purse and pulled out a compact mirror. Ashley smiled studying her reflection. She wore a half sleeve white collared shirt with a bow tied in the front, and opted for simple leather loafers and dress socks. It was one of many outfits that caught her eye and made Thane's mouth water. She flushed, he hadn't seen this getup yet. He was so dirty with his talk. How such a pedigree background could utter such unrefined words stumped her. She placed her hand into Martin's outstretched one as he assisted her out of the vehicle.

"This way, Miss Johnson."

She hurried towards the elevator that would take her straight to Thane's office. Stepping off, she took a moment to admire the floor to ceiling windows stretching across the wall. The beautiful city skyline stared back at her.

"Wow." She whispered. How did he get any work done looking at a gorgeous sight like this every day?

"Impressive isn't it."

"Thane!" She exclaimed, her eyes sparkling as she whirled around. Her lips pulled at the corners, stretching into a heartwarming smile. She threw herself into his arms.

"Now, this is a sight I will never tire of," He mumbled into her hair. She smelt heavenly. His heart melted at the pale blue eyes staring into his own.

"Did you miss me?" He uttered hungrily into her ear.

Ashley flushed at the tone.

"A little."

"I bet that kitty cat missed me more," he said, trailing his tongue on the outer shell of her ear and Ashley knees nearly gave out.

"Pig!" she wailed as he laughed and pulled her into his office.

"Have a seat sweetheart. I just have a few things to finish up."

"Alright."

"How's the internship going?"

"Lovely. At least the patients don't realize I have a bodyguard. It'll be wrapping up soon."

"Martin excels at his job."

"He does."

"Thane, I've cleared your schedule for next week."

Ashley watched an older woman entered the office with an iPad and blue tooth in her ear.

"Great. Evangeline, I want you to meet the love of my life and soon to be wife. This is Ashley."

"Nice to meet you, dear. You're not what I expected."

Ashley smile froze on her face. What the hell did she mean by that?! She stared into the eyes of a woman with hair greying at her edges, and cool brown eyes.

"Nice, to meet you too," she said, smiling at the woman. Although, gouging her eyes with a syringe flashed through her mind momentarily.

"Have you spoken with your mother?" Evangeline asked him.

"Of course, I did. I've already made plans to visit."

"You know Clarissa has been wanting to catch up with you too."

"Well, I'm a busy man. You know this. I only have time for one woman in my life."

Ashley sat observing the two closely. She didn't like Evangeline. The woman rubbed her the wrong way and who the hell was Clarissa? Take that, you witch! Ashley kept her face serene as Thane told the woman that she was the only one for him.

Good job baby! Momma's gonna reward you tonight!

"Don't be that way, Thane! She's already in flight. You've got the entire week off. The least you can do is say hi."

Who does this bitch think she is?

"I really can't Evangeline. I'll be out of town with my fiancée. So, another time. Shit! Is that the time. We need to take our leave."

"Alright. I'll let her know."

"Send her my apologies."

"Of course."

"Nice meeting you, Ashley dear."

Ashley grinned, her inner bitch jumping for joy. Take that! She giggled, Miss K and the guys definitely had rubbed off on her. No need to gloat. She simply nodded at his personal assistant, watching her leave through the thick wooden doors. Still, unease cloaked her, her skin crawling in warning. She instinctively knew trouble was heading their way.

 She instinctively knew trouble was heading their way