Dwarves and a Dragon- Bard

"Ma, Da, there's dwarves coming out of the toilet," Sigrid says. You furrow your brows, then look at Bard. "Explanation?" You ask quietly. Bard sighs. "I snuck them in. They need help, so I am helping them," he says. You sigh and find some blankets to give them.

"Here, Tilda. Give these out. I'll fix dinner," you say, moving to the stove. Bard looks out a window, scoping out the area around the house. A dwarf suddenly exclaims, "a Dwarvish Wind- Lance!" A hobbit says, "you look like you've seen a ghost." After that, you don't pay much attention to them.

You find bowls and scoop soup into them, giving them to Tilda, Sigrid, and Bain to pass out. "Thank you very much," the hobbit says with a small smile, directing towards you. You smile a little. "You're very welcome," you say, filling your husband's bowl.

You put his bowl in his hands. He raises an eyebrow, but remains silent. "It was kind of you to help the dwarves," you say, filling your own bowl of soup. "They paid a great deal," Bard says, looking into his soup bowl. You sit across from him with your own soup.

"How much?" You ask quietly. "Enough to provide for all of us for a few weeks," he says quietly. You nod, spooning soup into your mouth. "Dinner's wonderful," Bard says, dropping the subject of money. You smile slightly. "Thank you," you say, dropping the smile.

Bard finishes off his soup and tucks a hair behind your ear. He cups your cheek with his hand. "Listen, I have a feeling about these dwarves. If my feeling's right, then something terrible is about to happen," he says, looking into your eyes. "Do you have any idea what it could be?"you ask, knowing that when Bard feels as if something's amiss, he's usually right.

He removes his hand from your cheek and looks down. "No. Not a clue," he says. Bard stands up and puts his bowl in the sink.

He frowns. "I'll be back," he says. He goes out the door, leaving you with the dwarves, a hobbit, and your three children. When he returns, he has weapons. You raise your eyebrow, but continue to finish off your, now cold, soup. A few dwarves surround him, examining the weapons. The dwarves aren't pleased.

You sigh, putting your bowl in the sink. You begin to scrub bowls, not really paying any attention to anyone. "Ma, let me help," Sigrid says. You smile slightly, and move over a little. "Ma, what do you think the dwarves are going to do with those weapons?" Sigrid asks. You sigh. "Not sure," you say.

~~~~~~~~

Those stupid dwarves! They left the house, alerting the townspeople, which didn't go over well with your husband.

"Ma, look out there!" Tilda points outside. Four dwarves are coming to the door; one is injured. "Tilda, help your mother clean," Bard says, going to the door, as knocking can be heard.

Bard opens the door. "No. I'm done with dwarves; go away," he says. One dwarf mentions that the other needs help. You stop cleaning and watch the dwarves. Bard looks back at you, as if asking if he should help. You nod slightly. He turns back to the dwarves.

He scans the injured one, propped up by two dwarves. "Fine," he says, opening the door. You immediately clear the table and pull the injured dwarf, carefully, into the home.

~~~~~~~

"Are we going to die, Da?" Tilda asks, scared. "No, darling," Bard says. "The dragon, it's going to kill us," she says. You put a hand on her shoulder. Bard takes an arrow, previously used as a drying rack for plants, and examines it. "Not if I kill it first," he says. You smile slightly, remembering Bard saying those exact words to you years ago.

"Bain, come with me," he says. Bain follows Bard out of the house.

~~~~~~~

Sigrid leans over a balcony, as you drape a cloth over the injured dwarf, Kili's, forehead, in an attempt to bring down his fever. "Ma, is that Da?" Sigrid asks. You stand behind her, looking out. You see shadowy figures move from rooftop to rooftop. "No. Everyone get down! Stay out of sight. It's orcs," you say.

You push Sigrid into the house and shut the door. By this time, Bain has returned and is in the house, helping to hide his sisters. Orcs slip inside and break down the doors to your home. Everyone grabs something to throw and chucks it at the orcs.

Sigrid slides under the table, blocking the side off with a bench. "Tilda, get under the table with Sigrid," you say. Sigrid pulls her under the table. You find your elven sword, made for you at a young age, and fight off incoming orcs.

An orc flips the table over, exposing Sigrid and Tilda. "Not my girls. Not today," you say, slashing at orcs. Then, an elleth comes in through the window, helping you fight off orcs. Another elf comes in, taking down the orcs.

Fili pulls Bain down, protecting him. You gather your children as orcs retreat from the house.

~~~~~~~

Bain climbs out of the boat. "Bain, come back," Tilda shouts. You gasp, knowing precisely what he's doing. "Bain! Come back! Bain!" Your shouting does nothing, as he continues to run. You sigh.

"Ma, what's he doing?"Sigrid asks. "He's helping your father kill the dragon," you say gravely. "We have to stop him!" Sigrid exclaims. You sigh. "It's too late. He'll have to save himself," you say, your voice breaking. Sigrid and Tilda put their arms around you, hugging you tightly.

"Girls, we have to be strong, okay? Try not to cry yet, as they may make it," you say.

~~~~~~~~

The boat rows onto shore. You stand, and set your feet upon the shore, looking around for any signs of Bain or Bard.

Screams can be heard, corpses float ashore, and fires burn wreckage everyhere. Suddenly, you spot a familar brown head of hair and set of chocolate eyes. "Bard," you say quietly, smiling.

"Bard!" You yell, running towards your husband. He spots you and smiles slightly, opening his arms to you. "I am so glad you're okay," you say. He pulls you in for a kiss, allowing passion and longing to overtake him.

"Eww!" You and Bard pull apart, smiling at your youngest. You both open your arms, and hug your wonderful family. "I'm so glad we're all together," you say.

"Da, did you slay the dragon?" Tilda asks excitedly. Bard smiles lovingly upon his three children. "That I did, Tilda," he says.