Lovers' Quarrel - Dwalin

*there is a made up history in the beginning...pls no geography lessons/history lessons in my pms. thank you.

——

Dwalin wasn't exactly the most outwardly affectionate dwarf out there. He was gruff, tough, defensive, and sometimes brash. He did, however, reserve a small soft spot for very specific people...particularly, his friends and—most importantly—his wife.

He and his wife had met after Erebor was sieged by orcs and then the Serpent of the North, Smaug. Whilst the dwarves travelled to the Blue Mountains, they had briefly stopped in a small, welcoming village known as Eriandor. The village was said to have been under a spell cast by one of the Istari—one many had long since forgotten the name of—which would only allow the village to be found by those in need of rest. The village served as a home to those of the races of Man, Hobbits, the rare Elf, and a race only known to Eriandor, which was called the Fey.

The Fey were once a populous race formed by the Eru. They were similar to elves in that they were mostly tall and slender with pointed ears, although their eyes were a vibrant violet colour, and they held far greater powers than the elves. They, in the beginning, lived in the Land of Almaren until the Fey King turned malevolent, allying himself with Melkor. Melkor destroyed Almaren, forming the Misty Mountains. A great majority of the Fey population was wiped out...including the Fey King. The few who survived sought the help of the Blue Wizards and immigrated to what became Eriandor. There, they stayed, hidden to those unwelcome for many centuries.

When the dwarves of Erebor stumbled upon the small village, they did not know what to think.

They intended to stay for only a night and pass through, settling in the mountains somewhere, however, they found the Fey who lived and worked there to be very hospitable, the comforts of a plush mattress beneath them to be very pleasing, and the endless streams of ale to be restoring. The dwarves became very at ease in Eriandor—particularly Dwalin.

Dwalin had found company in a fair Fey maiden who supplied his ale. He was disgruntled, at first, by her strange violet eyes and soft spoken words, but he soon found her to be alluring as he came to know her. He became enchanted by her eyes' violet hues, her soft smiles, and her silver-tongued expressions.

All too soon—in Dwalin's opinion—the dwarves left the comfort of Eriandor to find their own place in Middle-Earth. Before his departure, he promised the Fey maiden that he would return to her someday, bestowing upon her his courting bead as a token of his promise. She, in return, promised to wait for him for as long as it would take, bestowing upon Dwalin an enchantment that would help him find his way back to Eriandor whenever he pleased. With their promises made and hearts saddened, Dwalin left his Fey beauty to go with the rest of the dwarves as they made their way to the Blue Mountains.

Dwalin remained in the Blue Mountains until Thorin began to speak of returning to Erebor. He grew to fear he would die without seeing his Fey maiden again...he feared she would have broken her promise to wait for him...he feared it would be too late to return to her...but he did not want to die without another glimpse of her ethereal visage; he did not want to go on the journey without returning to her.

And so, Dwalin returned to Eriandor to visit the Fey maiden he so loved. He knew his love for her would be a potential weakness, but he could not help that his heart longed for her. He had never felt this way for anyone, and he knew he would never feel such a way for another. He told her as much.

She, of course, had kept her promise, waiting everyday to see Dwalin again. She missed her grumpy dwarf very much, and she often longed to know where he had gone, whether it would be possible to seek him out...but she remained in Eriandor, holding her promise to him and waiting.