Illusion

SONG/VIDEO LINK ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE PAGE (scroll down a little) YOU CAN LISTEN TO IT WHILE YOU'RE READING THIS CHAPTER IF YOU WANT.

((So sorry this chapter was really short, but to make up for it I'll post the next chapter earlier than normal :) xx))

Hailey's hair was still the same golden, blonde colour, which cascaded down her back. She smiled at my father - oh... that smile. The smile that used to knock the breath out of my body. The smile that made my knees go weak and made me want to do anything and everything to make her smile once again. She stepped into the house and turned to look at me, and suddenly I couldn't remember how to breathe.

Hailey walked slowly towards me, her steps seeming uncertain as she kept eye contact with me. My heartbeat picked up pace as she neared me and I could feel my body being pulled into unconsciousness as I refused to breathe properly. If I changed anything, even something as small as inhaling, I might lose her. This was the most vivid hallucination I'd ever had of her, and I couldn't let her go. I knew that it wasn't healthy to hold onto a holograph of her, but I didn't care. She was the love of my life. Even almost a year after I'd last seen her, she still haunted my memory. I still loved her so much that just being close to her made my heart burst into flames, reigniting the senses in my body and flooding me with emotions that I had forgotten to feel. My throat dried as I stared at her in silence, not sure what to do or say. Nothing that I had done for the past eleven months had helped me; I could see that, now that she was here. Resistance was, and always would be, futile when it came to her. She was like my drug, my saviour, my love. She was all that I ever wanted and I selfishly grasped this image of her in my mind, not caring about the months that I'd spent in therapy just to forget about this feeling.

My lips parted as I searched for something to say - anything at all. There was so much I wanted to say, like telling her how much I loved her. I felt like no matter how many times I told her that, it would never be enough. An eternity with Hailey wouldn't have been enough.

She smiled at me again as she neared me, and stopped just in front of me.

"Are you Colton?" she asked. I couldn't register what she was saying. I was too focused on the way her voice made my heart leap, the way her lips moved with each syllable. It seemed so real, so tangible that I just wanted to reach out and touch her, but I knew that I could not. She was a hallucination, a final attempt that my brain had made in order to make me feel something.

Hailey lifted her hand, her delicate finger nearing me, before he finger traced my cheek lightly. I felt myself almost faint as her fingertip grazed my skin. It felt so real. So real that I almost wanted to cry at the pain of knowing that she wouldn't be here when I woke up.

This was all a dream, it had to be, there was no other way of explaining it. Hailey removed her finger and the place that she had touched grew cold again. She brought her hand closer to my face again and this time placed her entire palm against my cheek. It was too much. It felt too real. I felt myself falling as I slipped into unconsciousness. I wanted to cry out and grab onto her to stop myself from waking up from the dream I was in, but I knew that it was pointless. I would have to wake up eventually and my heart would still ache at the memory of her.

(CHAPTER CHALLENGE: Get this story to 1,200 reads!)

And just like that, I fooled you. I FOOLED YOU ALL. And now you're sitting there, feeling like a fool, LIKE A FOOL (ok maybe I've been watching 'friends' too much and Pheobe's speech is rubbing off on me...)

Anyway, I know you think you know what I know about this story, but you don't know what I know. You think you know what I know but really I know what you know and you don't know anything.

Well actually you'll know everything in the next chapter so...

Also, someone commented on one of my stories saying that they really enjoyed it when I shared stuff about what's going in my life as an author's note at the end of chapters, because you guys get to know me more, so I'll try doing that more often.

Let's see... oh, recently I've been doing art a lot more. It turns out I can actually draw and paint and all that fun stuff. I started out with watercolours because they're so much easier to paint with but I've been getting into mixed materials lately because it adds so much more dimension to paintings.

So yeah, that's my life update. I'd love to know what's going on in your life, so comment down below anything you'd like about your life :) I love getting to know all of you ^_^ xx