❥ chapter XXIII

The next morning—at 7am, an hour later than usual since you wouldn't go to school today—you awoke to the beeping of your alarm clock and the chirping of birds and similar Pokémon outside your window. The moment you opened your eyes, you were already bubbling over with energy and excitement for what was to come today.

You didn't waste any time throwing the covers off you and jumping out of bed. A sense of anticipation was buzzing in your chest the whole time you were following your normal morning routine: Donning the outfit you had put out yesterday evening, eating breakfast with your parents and your Pokémon downstairs, and then getting ready in the bathroom (doing your hair, brushing your teeth, and so on).

Raleia, Rineis, and Phiala stuck to you like glue this morning, following you wherever you went as you bustled about the house. Like yesterday, the female Ralts was making things difficult for you by scurrying around right in front of your feet, urging you to hurry up every five seconds or so—as if you weren't already in a hurry. But you knew that you would just waste your time and breath if you told her to calm down. So instead, you just focused on not tripping over her. Rineis still tried his best to get his sister to stop pestering you, but—just as expected—achieved exactly nothing with that.

A little while later, just as you came skipping down the stairs and landed on the floorboards with a thud, your Pokémon following close on your heels, the doorbell rang. Since you were standing just a few steps away from the front door, you immediately went to answer the door.

You already knew who was standing at the door. Yesterday at the café, your four best friends and you had agreed on meeting up one last time before you would depart—which was a matter of course, really—and they had readily offered to come to your place in the morning. But, to your surprise, you didn't find only them standing in front of you and smiling at you when you opened the door, but also one of your co-workers from the clinic.

Your mouth formed a little circle, and you blinked at Candace in surprise. She was breathing rather heavily, and her brown hair was a little messy from the wind, as if she had run all the way here. "Oh?"

Giggling breathlessly, the girl waved to you. "Hey, [Name]. What's with that face? Did you really think we'd let you leave just like that, without giving you at least a present?" she asked, flashing a toothy grin. Indeed, she seemed to be hiding something behind her back with one hand. "I'm the only one who was allowed to leave work, though."

"We have something for you too!" Alex proudly declared and pointed at the gift-wrapped object resembling a toolbox in shape and size that Kristie was holding.

You began to smile brightly at your five friends. "Oh, wow, really? Thanks, guys! Then come on in!" You stepped aside to let them enter, but only your best friends did, whereas your co-worker didn't move.

"I'm sorry, but I can't stay long," Candace said. "We have lots of work to do at the clinic right now, and I have to go back as soon as possible. I just came to give you the present." At this, she produced a sphere or ball of some sort, almost like a Poké Ball, from behind her back and held it out to you, smiling. A beautifully tied bow in your favourite colour was wrapped around the white gift wrap. "So, here you go. It's from all of us. I—well, we—hope you'll like it."

After you had taken the present from her, you enveloped her in a quick hug. "Thanks so much, Candace. I'm sure I'm going to love your present. And pass on my thanks to the others too!"

She squeezed you tight. "You're welcome. And will do," she said as she let go of you and gave you a warm, kind smile. "We wish you all the best, [Name]. Don't forget to call us." Waving you one last time, she took off running towards the nearby ferry landing.

Only when she was out of sight, having disappeared behind another cottage, did you stop waving at her departing form. Then you went back inside the house and closed the door. This was the last time you would see Candace (and all your other co-workers yesterday) in person for the foreseeable future—but it wasn't like you would never see them again. You could call them on their PokéNav Plus any time you wanted. But still, you couldn't help but feel a little sad ...

Your mom's head appeared in the doorway to the living room as she peeked into the hallway, a gentle smile lighting up her face when she saw your friends. "Hello, girls," she greeted them, and they all greeted back cheerfully. Then, she looked at you. "There was no one else at the door, was there, sweetie?"

You shook your head. "No, why?"

With a hum, she glanced at the watch around her wrist, her brows knitted. "Well, a surprise guest was supposed to arrive a few minutes ago already, but it seems like he's running late ..." she mumbled, partly to herself and partly to you.

"'Surprise guest'?" you echoed as you cocked your head in both curiosity and confusion. "What are you talking about?"

She laughed. "Now, now. It wouldn't be a surprise anymore if I just told you. You'll have to be a little patient, sweetie. But don't worry, I'm sure he'll arrive soon. Until then, how about you come sit with us in the living room? I see you have surprise gifts for our daughter as well."

"You got a present for me too?" A smile grew on your lips and quickly turned into a full-blown grin from ear to ear. This day was getting better and better!

Your dad appeared on the stairs, holding a jingling pouch in one hand and a small square object with a strange protrusion at one side covered in gift wrap in the other. "Of course not, honey," he deadpanned. "We're cruel parents who don't give their only child a parting gift before she sets out on her journey."

"Yeah, that's exactly why I was surprised," you retorted sarcastically and straight-faced, rolling your eyes, "duh." You proceeded to have a stare-down with your dad which ended in you both grinning at each other.

"Alright then, come along, ladies. It's time for [Name] to unwrap some presents." Walking past you towards the living room, your dad signalled the five of you—or, to be precise, eight, since your Pokémon were with you—with a nod of his head to follow him. He placed the two presents on the coffee table, and Kristie and you followed suit, setting the respective gift down too.

Afterwards, you all took a seat. While your dad sunk into his beloved wing chair, your mom, your best friends, and you sat down on the adjacent corner couch, with the four girls sitting on either side of you. The three Pokémon joined your mom on the other side of the couch since there was no room left for them near you.

"Which one do you want to open first?" your mom asked. She watched you with a smile playing about her lips while petting Phiala who had settled down beside her. The shy Dark-type Pokémon seemed to have taken an instant liking to her.

"Open ours, [Nickname]! Please," Alex drawled in a pleading voice as she clutched your arm, fluttering her eyelashes and giving you puppy dog eyes you had long grown indifferent to. "Pretty please!" But the next second, she let go of you again to clasp her arm where May had lightly punched her. She shot the brunette girl a nasty look. "Ow! Do you always have to be so violent?"

"Don't be such a wuss. I didn't straight up punch you. And now leave [Nickname] be already," May barked. "Just let her decide on her own."

"You both, stop arguing," Lina chastised the two of them, but was ignored as they had already began bickering. "Guys!" she repeated, more fiercely (and angrily) this time. Still no effect.

Kristie tried her luck at calming the two squabblers down by pleading with them in an almost exasperated manner. "Guys, please! Stop already! Why do you always have to fight over the smallest things?" Alas, her words fell on deaf ears.

Ignoring your friends' squabbling, you stared at the array of presents laid out on the table, lost in thought, as you tried to determine which you were most curious about. Was it the ball? The oblong? The chinking pouch (which you suspected to contain money)? Or the cube with the oversized thermometer thing sticking out of it? You weren't sure. The only thing you knew for sure was that you were curious about them all. Hence, to not waste any more time, you just randomly grabbed the present closest to you, which happened to be the oblong item from your best friends.