"Lexi... Should we go?"

"No. Just give me a minute."

Although Lexi had told herself to keep a level head and that revenge never solved anything, a burning anger blossomed inside her chest. She knew Melinoe was responsible for the destruction of this noble being. And for what? Petty jealousy? Before Lexi could stop it, she imagined Melinoe tied to the tree engulfed in flames, and the horrific vision triggered her emotions. She dropped her head to Hades's shoulder, and while she had a good cry, she replayed the vision of Melinoe struggling to break free of her own smoky ropes, which was not level-headed at all.

The sound of heavy footfalls distracted Lexi's wicked thoughts, and she turned to find Zeus stomping toward them between the tree line. His face looked grave, and she hurried to wipe the tears from her cheeks as he pulled her into his burly arms.

"I'm sorry about your tree, Lexi. I truly am." He spoke his gruff sympathies into her ear before pulling away, and since sympathy from Zeus was rare, Lexi felt privileged to receive it.

"Thank you. I appreciate all you did to save her. I'd like the names of everyone who helped in the rescue efforts. I want to send personal thanks to each of them."

"Of course. But what I'd like to know is how this happened? Hecate said I should bring my questions to you two. What's your theory on it?"

"We believe Melinoe is behind it," Hades said.

"Melinoe?" Zeus tugged on his beard as a grimace drew his mouth downward. "Well, I can't say I'm surprised. She's been a bane since her birth. I expect it was fueled by jealousy, or envy, or both."

"That's my guess, which I take my share of responsibility for." Hades's grip tightened around Lexi's waist, and she knew he was feeling the pain of regret. "I paid Melinoe a visit this afternoon, and she swore an oath to Gaia that she is not responsible."

"What!" Lexi hadn't meant to scream, or aim it at Hades's face, but he reacted by jerking back.

"Did you really expect her to own up to it, Lexi?" he said, looking more sympathetic than offended. "Not only is she a vengeful goddess, she's a habitual liar."

Lexi wanted to prove Melinoe was responsible for the spirits wreaking havoc and causing her beautiful elm to burn to a crisp. Josef had confirmed this fact. The problem was, Lexi hadn't talked to Hades about Josef yet, and she wasn't about to do it in front of Zeus. Having lost her momentum, Lexi could think of no retort, and she returned to staring at the blackened elm.

"Hecate is speaking to a group in the front courtyard," Zeus said. "Nothing formal or required, but many were asking to see you, Lady Alexandra." His voice had softened so much, Lexi didn't recognize it, and she acknowledged him with a nod.

"I was prepared to speak," she said. "But I think I'll take a glass of Chablis first."

Zeus's complexion brightened as he smiled under his blond bristles. "I'm sure we can find a nymph to accommodate you."

Lexi spent the next few hours listening to the story of the burning elmtold from thirty points of view, with the highlight being Jules's retelling ofa spirit trying to help them put out the blaze. When someone asked if she wouldgrow another tree, Lexi chose not to provide an answer yet. She didn't want todiminish the impact their determination and honor had on all of them. Not tomention the role Melinoe played. She managed to escape before too many tears could be shed, and Hades valiantly assumed chariot duties.

When they arrived at the stable, Lexi was ready to drown her sorrows in a steaming bath, and Sella bounded into action, dousing the tub with lemon verbena and taking over the task of putting Juniper to bed. As for Hades, he dropped his clothes at the door and collapsed on top of the down comforter, reassuring Lexi with his contented respirations as she slipped into the fragrant waters.