9 ~ Hades

Poseidon navigated his yacht out of port and set their course for Olympus, while Hades fetched drinks from a spirited nymph with lovely pink hair. Hades had noticed the tension between Poseidon and Odessa back on the dock, which he credited to his keen insight, even if Lexi did think he missed the signs with Lisbon and Ink.

"Are you well, brother?" Hades asked as he handed Poseidon a stein of beer. "I sense you want to get something off your chest."

Poseidon took a long pull from his mug, leaving a rim of foam to line his grimace. "Your senses haven't failed you. Odessa is unhappy with me."

"What have you done, this time?"

"Hell if I know. Her moods are as scattered as the sands of an hourglass. Females are baffling."

Hades laughed at his brother's lament. It was something he did whenever possible. "You're just realizing this, now?"

Poseidon eyed Hades with distaste. "Can you suspend your judgment for a moment to offer some brotherly advice? What do you do when Lexi acts irrationally?"

"I let her sort it out. Hormones are usually to blame. Do you have any theories on why Odessa is unhappy?"

"I have plenty of theories. Progeny, for one. She is obsessed with becoming a mother. And she is convinced something is blocking her conception. Of course, I can't help thinking I'm to blame."

Hades wasn't surprised by Poseidon's initial theory. Odessa had been relying heavily on Lexi's counsel, and Lexi had sought advice from Hades. The best they could speculate was that Odessa suffered from a guilty conscience about her lost chastity.

"I believe you're right about Odessa's obsession to bear children," Hades offered. "Lexi has noticed it too. And if you're looking for my advice on the subject, I'd say to keep the home fires burning."

Poseidon's eyes twinkled as he smirked over his mug. "It's more like an inferno at home. Nearly a century of chastity has made her insatiable. I cannot seem to slake her desire for me. So, maybe it isn't me blocking her conception."

Hades ignored Poseidon's boast and offered another bit of advice. One that might shut him up. "Perhaps Odessa should seek counsel with Phoebe."

Poseidon's face contorted to resemble a hellhound being disturbed from sleep, which Hades expected to happen. Poseidon was burned by one of Phoebe's prophecies when she told him Amphitrite would leave him. He had not sought counsel with her since.

To Hades's surprise, Poseidon appeared to submit to his fate, offering a resigned shrug. "At this point, I am willing to try anything if it will help Odessa find peace."

"Good. In the meantime, Odessa can take comfort in caring for Valencia. I know they have become close."

"Yes, they have. But you and I both know it won't be enough for Odessa. Not long-term."

"Then I suggest you enjoy the tempest until you get resolution." Hades took a draw from his stein, knowing that Poseidon had no more room to complain.

At Poseidon's marina, their party was greeted by Poseidon's trusted satyr, Landau, who arrived to transport them to the palace of the gods in a two-seater chariot.

"I misheard the number in your party, my lord," he said to Poseidon, knocking his hairy knees together as he bowed deeply. "There are too many guests for the chariot. I can make two trips...or bring out a pair of Andalusians..."

"That won't be necessary," Poseidon said. "The chariot was for the ladies and the babe. Hades and I will walk to the party with the youngsters so they can burn off some energy.

The youngsters in question were already running away from the marina and toward the beach. Alex attempted to carry Ely in his arms as he flapped his wings exuberantly, and Lexi clicked her tongue as she watched them.

"Hades. Please, see that Alex doesn't drop our son on his head again."

"I'll make sure Ely lands on his feet, this time." Hades winked, and Lexi gave him a playful eye roll, although he knew there would be hell to pay if he let their son arrive at the palace in need of the infirmary.

When the chariot rolled away, Hades and Poseidon picked-up their pace to join the eager youths. Their journey took them by The Flying Horse Toy Makers, Seraphina's Sweets, and the farmer's market. At each shop, Alex showed off his wings, and Seraphina insisted they choose a treat for Lammas, which took the children an eternity. By the time they reached the palace, Hades was famished, and he detoured from his lively companions to make for the buffet table. He had heard they were serving mutton curry, one of his favorite Bengal dishes, and he had just begun to fill his plate when a familiar voice tinkled at his ear.

"Lammas blessings to you, Lord Hades."

Hades turned to greet Clary just as she plucked a fig from a serving tray and took a small bite. "Same to you, Lady Clary," he offered as he watched her chew politely.

"Where is your dear wife? I have yet to meet the new babe." She made a show of looking around, but Hades could tell she was not putting much effort into it.

"I expect Juniper is keeping the lady busy somewhere."

"Juniper is such a darling name. I want to extend my congratulations to you both. We missed Lexi at the last painting class. She has shown great improvement since joining. Her approach is very...human."

Hades nodded, knowing Clary took great care in choosing her words. "Makes sense to me. She has been fretting over her current piece. I don't think portraits are her forte."

Clary cocked her head. "But isn't she painting her horse, the one she brought to the underworld?"

"Yes. Jackie O. She can't seem to capture the horse's spirit the way her mind sees it."

"I can't say I've ever looked at animal portraits that way," Clary offered. "Another special quality of our dear Lexi."

"En garde, you fiend!" Ely shimmied away from the tablecloth on his knees, wielding his favorite plastic sword. "Oh, hello Daddy," he said as he stood and leaned over a bread basket, stabbing a roll with the tip. "Where's Mommy?"

"I haven't found her yet. She's probably feeding Junip somewhere."

Ely gave his father a critical look. "Junip is my nickname for her. You call her Juniper."

"I'm sorry, son. It won't happen again."

Ely galloped away as Clary chuckled. "Your children are exceptional...like you. I am happy for you, Hades."

"Thank you. When was the last time you thought about taking a mate?"

"I can't recall. How long ago did we meet?"

"Seventy-seven years."

"Then, about that long."

After sharing his palace with Clary for many turns, Hades liked to think he knew the goddess well, and he believed her when she said she had not left the underworld because he failed her. She left because of the underworld, and there was a difference.

"And now?" he asked.

"I am considering it again."

"Good. You deserve a mate who can bring you long-term happiness."

Clary blinked her eyes at Hades, looking like her compass had sent her in the wrong direction. It was a look he recognized immediately, and it had his thoughts veering off into long-buried memories. Hades counted his affair with Clary as a valuable learning experience. He learned she was not the one, and he had come to believe she left him to make room for Lexi.

Hades quickly scanned the hall for his favorite pomegranate dress, finding his beloved sitting on a velvet divan near the west entrance. Assessing his half-full plate and feeling satisfied with it, he made his plea for escape. "If you will excuse me, Lady Clary. I need to relieve my wife. Juniper is a voracious eater and would suckle all day if she was given her way."

"It sounds like Juniper takes after her father." Clary let a blush color her cheeks, and Hades made a hasty retreat.