6 ~ Melinoe

The row of sorority houses stood like antiquated brothels as Melinoe swept over the peaked rooftops, cloaked by her long veil and the shadow of night. Many of the buildings were equipped with attics, where furniture, party props, and forgotten suitcases got stored. Attics also offered the perfect hideout for spirits, and Melinoe had her radar set for one spirit in particular. An incubus named Josef whom she had a long-standing relationship with.

Investigating each attic with care, she felt Josef's lusty presence emanating from the house marked Delta, Delta, Delta, and she settled onto a divan covered in a sheet with a faded floral print. The scent of stale dust and cedar permeated the room, a great improvement over the stench of naphthalene that usually dominated the neglected spaces of old homes. Melinoe had stopped trying to understand mortals and the toxic substances they used to protect their fabrics when a thorough dousing with lavender would do the trick.

Josef arrived as Melinoe indulged in a quick nap, dropping through the ceiling to float over her in his nude form. A luxurious mane of blonde hair blew across his handsome face as his grand wings fluttered gracefully, creating the image of an angel in white. Of course, Josef was far from angelic. He was a wicked rogue, and as Melinoe peered up at him, he spoke in a seductive baritone that proved this point.

"If you had remained asleep a bit longer, this greeting could have started out more entertaining." He offered a seductive smirk, and Melinoe thought she saw a flash of spite in his eyes.

"Now Josef. You know I sleep with one eye open."

Melinoe sat up, forcing Josef into the rafters, and as he drifted back down, she watched his smirk change to a smile, but it didn't strike her as sincere. In fact, he appeared put-out by her presence, locking her in his gray gaze as he addressed her.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit, Melinoe?"

"I was hoping for pleasure. I have missed you, Josef. No one touches me like you do." She reached out to stroke his wings, which felt as soft as they looked. Josef was expertly skilled at making his ethereal form solid. A thousand years of practice will do that for a spirit, along with some damned powerful magic. "How long has it been?"

"After a year, I stopped keeping track," he said, still eyeballing her keenly. "But I remember our last encounter well. You left me tied to a headstone with that damnable sash of yours. It was well past dawn when I finally wrestled myself free."

Definitely put-out. Melinoe smiled sweetly at him. "But, I knew you would free yourself. You're terribly clever. And if I remember, I let you defile me in a graveyard, which goes against my morals."

Josef chuckled, causing his wings to flutter and lift him off the ground. "I have never seen you exercise morals. Are you sure you have them?"

Melinoe bit her tongue. She didn't want to start an argument with Josef. She was there to make a request of him, which would require tact and probably some amount of coddling. "Believe it or not, I do. Not engaging in obscene acts in a cemetery is one of them."

"Says the goddess who enjoys tying up her partners mid-coitus," he said curtly. "So, what did you have in mind this evening?"

Josef's mood shifted from affronted to intrigued as his gaze raked over Melinoe's breasts, which heaved from the bodice of her low-cut dress. Of course, she had worn it on purpose, and she lifted her veil to give him a better view.

"Since I feel bad about staying away so long, I thought I would give you carte blanche, as long as it doesn't involve a cemetery." Melinoe raised her eyebrows suggestively, but Josef did not look convinced, most likely the result of knowing her too well.