Val glanced across the table at Lexi as she nodded. "Yes. I need to prove to Odessa I'm okay before she worries herself sick."

Breakfast quickly turned into a rush to prepare for the trip to Olympus, and after strapping Juniper to her chest, Lexi met Hades in the stable where he secured the horses to the chariot. He had insisted on accompanying her to the grove regardless of how tired he felt, but she could see the fatigue in his eyes.

"Are you sure you're up for this trip?" she asked as she brushed the hair off his forehead. It had grown so long, she could almost get it behind his ear.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that question?"

"I'm fine."

Hades quirked a disbelieving brow, letting her know she couldn't hide anything from him, and that was all right, since it proved he knew her. Val arrived at the stable, toting her quiver and her overnight bag, and Hades got the team of horses in the air. Lexi insisted on taking the reins when she saw his eyelids drooping, and during his respite, Val shared a strange experience she had while recovering in the nymph's room.

"I was taking a drink of water when a spirit floated in. He looked like he was worried about me."

Lexi stiffened, remembering Josef hiding out in the north tower bedroom. Had he visited Valencia? "He?"

"Yes. I thought I was dreaming. Then Elm came in and talked to him. She called him Blaze."

Lexi exhaled. "Oh, Blaze. I remember him. I hope he didn't frighten you. You were in a state last night."

"I wasn't frightened. I've seen plenty of spirits before. Besides, Elm seemed to know him."

"She did? What makes you say that?" Hades asked, suddenly alert and interested in Val's retelling.

"I guess they had already met. Maybe when she was chasing him they talked. I didn't ask. I was just glad not to be a spirit like him. By the way..." Val turned her nymph-like face to Lexi and hit her with a pair of intense blue eyes. "Thank you, Lady Lexi, for saving my life. I never thought I'd need your help like that, but I'm glad you were there when I did."

Lexi felt her throat tighten as she smiled at Valencia. "Me too."

Val dropped the subject of spirits, changing the topic to the upcoming Olympic trials, which she could participate in now that she wasn't dead, and it wasn't long before Lexi and Hades were at Poseidon's royal doorstep, giving their regards to the resilient youth. When they arrived at the palace of the gods, Lexi was greeted by a swarm of nymphs. They all wanted to hug her and tell her how sorry they were for her tree, and while their sympathy and kindness brought a smile to Lexi's face, she felt a weight on her shoulders that wouldn't ease. And when she finally excused herself to visit the grove, her palms were sweating. Even Juniper picked up on Lexi's nerves as she fussed mulishly inside her wrap.

Hades took ahold of Lexi's hand as they passed beneath the arbor, and the smell of wet char hit her sinuses first-thing, foreshadowing what was to come. She busied herself with keeping her balance on the uneven trail, pressing her cheek to Juniper's face as she stared down at her feet. Of course, she knew Hades wouldn't let her trip. She was more afraid of what she would see if she looked up.

"Oh, dear." Hades's gentle proclamation had Lexi's gut clenching, and she squeezed his hand tightly as she forced her chin upward.

The beautiful elm bore no resemblance to the grand tree that had stood majestically over the others for almost eight years. Not a single leaf remained, and many of the branches had been lost. Those that survived, did so because they were nearly as robust as the trunk. Still, everything had been blackened to the color of tar, and as Lexi gazed uncomprehendingly at the macabre scene, a bit of charred bark flaked off and fluttered to the ground. Lexi's knees buckled unexpectedly, and Hades's arm shot around her waist to hold her upright.