NINETEEN

Pete and Patrick set out for Gavin's apartment after Pete takes a shower. They walk hand-in-hand, Pete sporting his new necklace, and Patrick laughing at how stupid his boyfriend is.

"I'm so glad we found each other." Pete says suddenly, pulling on Patrick's hand to get him to stop. Patrick smiles, sliding his other arm around Pete's waist as he pulls his boyfriend in for a kiss.

"Hey, my dudes." Horacio says, interrupting them. "Merry Christmas."

Patrick's jaw clenches, and he tightens his grip on Pete's waist. Pete just rolls his eyes, letting go of Patrick's hand and cupping his cheek. He lets his other hand find Horacio's, shaking it.

"Merry Christmas, Horacio." Pete says, and Horacio smiles, nodding his head at both of them when they begin to walk again.

"Merry Christmas, Patrick!" Horacio calls out, and Patrick turns around, a forced smile on his face.

"Merry Christmas." He says bitterly. At least they're talking. One step at a time.

He and Patrick make it to Gavin's at around noon, entering the house. Trevor, Cate, and the unnamed foster kid are not here yet when they get upstairs.

"Patrick, Pete, there you two are." Gavin says nervously. He has an apron on covering up his nice clothes, which consist of a button up with a vest over it, a pair of khakis, and dress shoes.

"What's wrong, Dad?" Patrick asks, sitting down at the table. Pete sits next to him.

"Nothing. We should. We should talk." Gavin says, sitting down across from Patrick.

"Okay.." Patrick trails off, shooting a strange look at Pete.

"It's about the foster kid Trev and Cate have taken in." Gavin says, not making eye contact with either of them. "You know him. Like, pretty well."

"Who is it then?" Patrick's eyebrows furrow. Pete gasps, already knowing what Gavin's going to say before he says it.

Gavin drops his head and whispers the one name Pete did not want to hear today, "Brendon."

Patrick's eyes widen, and his breath hitches. "You're serious?"

"Yes. And Brendon doesn't know about Pete. Trev and Cate thought they were doing something nice for you, bringing your boyfriend back." Gavin says. Patrick looks at Pete, who is staring off in the distance.

"Give us a moment?" Patrick asks, and Gavin nods.

"Of course." He stands up and goes to the other room, where Patrick has no doubt in his mind that Gavin is eavesdropping.

"Baby." Patrick says, standing up and kneeling in front of Pete. He grabs Pete's face in his hands and forces his boyfriend to look at him. "This changes nothing between us. You're the love of my life, okay? Just because Brendon's back for one day doesn't mean anything is going to change."

"What if it isn't for just one day?" Pete blurts out, tears welling up in his eyes. "What if Trevor and Cate somehow found a way for him to come back here, at the academy? Then what?"

"Calm down, love. If he is, then he is. I don't fucking care. I'm in love with you. Nothing is going to change that. Not even if James fucking McAvoy came here. And he's totally my one freebie." Patrick says, and the last part makes Pete laugh.

Patrick wipes Pete's tears away. "I love you, too." Pete says, and Patrick kisses his forehead.

"You can come back now, Dad." Patrick says, and when Gavin comes back in, it's easy to tell that he was listening.

Brendon comes in last. He doesn't look anything like what Pete thought he would. He has dark hair and a pretty face. His jawline is sharp, a scar running down one of his cheeks to his chin. Pete can bet he knows where that's from.

And he rushes over to Patrick as soon as he sees him. "Peanut!" Brendon exclaims. The dead silence afterwards is more than just a little awkward.

"Hi, Bren." Patrick says, simply. He sets his hand on top of Pete's on the table, linking their fingers.

Brendon's eyes flicker to their hands, then to Pete, and then back to Patrick. "Oh. I. Oh." Brendon says, clearly shocked that Pete is here.

"Brendon, this is my boyfriend, Pete. Pete, this is my ex-boyfriend, Brendon." Patrick says, and the room goes silent again, the adults watching the teenagers closely.

"Nice to meet you." Pete says finally, holding the hand not linked with Patrick's out. Brendon takes it, his eyes flickering to Pete's neck, where the new necklace hangs.

"Yeah. Good to meet you." Brendon forces a smile, a noticeable lump forming in his throat as he watches Pete and Patrick. The room goes quiet yet again.

"So," Cate breaks the silence, a smile on her face, "who's ready to eat?"

All of the boys jump up immediately. Patrick, being the gentleman he is, lets both Pete and Brendon go before him. Since Pete was first in line, he sits down first also.

He watches Brendon and Patrick interact, both of them clearly very uncomfortable and tense. Patrick finishes getting his food first, sitting next to Pete, his left arm around Pete's shoulder as they wait for everyone else to get their food and join them.

Brendon sits across from Pete, and Cate sits next to him. Gavin and Trevor are each at the end of the table, sitting across from each other.

"It's good to be here with family." Trevor says, and although everyone nods in agreement, Pete can't help but eye Brendon, who looks perpetually sad.

"That, it is." Gavin says, holding his beer up. They all cheer as if this is actually nice. In reality, it's all pretty fucked up, to say the least.

But, Pete could be stuck with cafeteria food and no friends or family right now. So there are definitely worst situations to be in.

ok so brendon showed back up.

was anyone at all expecting this?? because i've had it planned since the beginning lol.

how was your day/night?

thoughts?