Chapter 25 ~ Inside St. Jerome's Church

Start from the beginning

So we all did our best to tread carefully to the church. Once we got the clear from Hermione, we went inside, making ourselves comfortable. Albus and Scorpius immediately headed for a pew, falling asleep instantly. I chuckled, sitting down in a pew myself, looking up at the ceiling.

"I'm surprised you're not at the window with your brother," Draco said as he sat down beside me.

I sighed, shrugging my shoulders. "It's weird, being back here, really. I guess I just want to take it all in for now."

He chuckled. "That's understandable." He paused, cleared his throat, then went back to speaking. "I'm glad our son is safe."

I nodded my head in agreement. "Me, too. I just couldn't believe him and Albus thought they had to save the world. Why couldn't they be normal?"

"That's the thing, Max. The Potters and Malfoys will never be normal," Draco pointed out.

"Good point." I sighed, shaking my head. "How the hell did we end up here?"

Draco took my hand, squeezing it tightly. "Well, just like our son, we're not so normal, either."

"No, we are not," I agreed. "We were never a normal couple."

"And we never will be," he added.

I looked at Draco. "Well, being normal is overrated, anyway." I gave him a small smile. His face brightened a little.

"Guys!" Ginny called out to us. "I've just thought of something!" Draco, Ron, Hermione, and I went to Ginny and Harry, huddling around them. "Has anyone thought about why Delphi picked this day?"

"Because this is the day that everything changed..." Harry said.

"Right now you and Max are over a year old, right?"

"A year and three months," I spoke up.

"That's a year and three months she could've killed you two in. Even now, she's been in Godric's Hollow for twenty-four hours. What's she waiting for?"

I thought about it, but nothing came to my mind. "We're still not following..."

"What if she's waiting for him to show up?"

My eyes widened. "What?"

"Delphi's picked tonight because her father is coming and she wants to meet him and be with him, the father she loves. Voldemort's problems started when he attacked you two. If he hadn't done that--"

"--then he would've gotten more powerful and the darkness would only have got darker," Harry finished for her.

"So to her, the best way to break the prophecy is not to kill the Potter twins," Ginny said.

"It's to stop Voldemort from doing anything at all," I stated.

We all stayed silent for a moment, trying to process this theory. Ginny had to be right. If Delphi wasn't after us, then why else would she come back here in 1981?

"What's going on?" Albus asked in a sleepy tone, walking towards us, followed by Scorpius.

"We're just talking," Ginny replied.

"So let me get this straight..." Ron spoke up. "We're fighting to protect Voldemort?"

"What?" Scorpius questioned, obviously confused.

"We don't think Delphi came back here to kill me and Uncle Harry," I answered.

"Right. Delphi's not trying to kill Harry and Max. She's trying to stop Voldemort from killing them," Hermione explained. "Brilliant. We've got something."