When the interviews end, I take off my tie. And Clove undos her hair. Her dark brown hair flows down her shoulders in curls. I was always fascinated with curly hair, ever since I was little. That's probably because no one in my family had it.

"Well, good night, Cato," Clove says, yawning. "You'd better get all the sleep you can."

"Good night, Clove." I turn around and make my way up the stairs.

"Hey, wait," she calls me.

"Huh?"

"You didn't call me Clover."

I raise an eyebrow. "Did you want me to?"

Her face is pink. "No, it's just that, I was kinda getting used to it."

**********

We're getting onto the hovercraft that transports us to the arena. I'm strapped into a metal seat next to Marvel, and the District 3 male tribute. Then, a nurse comes around with a giant needle. I, personally, don't really mind needles, but the kid next to me looked like he was going to pee his pants.

"Give me your arm." The lady takes my arm, and inserts the needle into my forearm. When she's done, I rub my arm. It stung. The boy next to me was sqeezing his eyes shut while the nurse put the needle in.

What was he gonna do during the Games? Run away from a little porcupine?

Finally, it's time to disembark. We're dropped off underground, where our stylists are waiting for us.

"Drink some water," Yanah orders, handing me a glass.

I down it, and ask, "How long do we have?"

Just as I ask that, a disembodied voice echoes around the room.

"One minute."

Oh. I try to shake my terror off. I am going to win these Games. For my uncle. For my dad and mom. For Comy. I look at the ornamental bird in my hand. I place it into my sweater pocket, which is underneath a windbreaker.

"Thirty seconds."

Yanah taps my arm. "Does everything fit? Are you ready?"

I nod, thinking about my clothes. I don't answer whether I'm ready or not. I think about Clove. Is she nervous? Or like me, downright terrified on the inside, but never letting it get to me?

"Ten seconds."

I shut my eyes and take a deep breath. I start towards the glass tube which will carry me up.

"Good luck," Yanah says, patting my back.

I stand in the tube, and the door closes. The platform begins to rise. A bright light suddenly flashes in my eyes. Sunlight. When I can finally see again, my vision is swamped with green.

A forest. How original of the Gamemakers to come up with a forest for the fiftieth time. There is a huge, golden Cornucopia lying before me, right in the middle of all the tributes' platforms. It glints like a beacon, and I can see the packs and weapons stashed in abundance within it. From my position, I catch a glimpse of blue water down past a thick of trees.

"Ladies and gentlemen, let the Seventy-fourth Hunger Games begin!" The voice of Claudius Templesmith booms all around the arena.

"60 seconds," comes the disembodied voice again. It begins to count down. I look over to my right and see Clove. She nods at me and gives me a small smile.

To my left, are Marvel and Glimmer. They both have fierce looks on their faces. They're ready to kill.

5
4