SOCIOLOGY AND ANTHROPOLOGY

Tradition Values – main argument of someone in favor to their preposition.

Superstition ­- excessively credulous belief in and reverence for supernatural beings.

Ethnocentrism - evaluation of other cultures according to preconceptions originating in the standards and customs of one's own culture. (Seeing your way of doing things as the right way and everybody else's as the wrong way, you tend this attitude)

Cultural Relativism - is the idea that a person's beliefs, values, and practices should be understood based on that person's own culture, rather than be judged against the criteria of another.

Ethical relativism - is the theory that holds that morality is relative to the norms of one's culture.

Acculturation - is the process of social, psychological, and cultural change that stems from blending between cultures.

Cognitive Dissonance - the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes, especially as relating to behavioral decisions and attitude change.

Particularism - exclusive attachment to one's own group, party, or nation.

Personalism - a system of thought that maintains the primacy of the human or divine person on the basis that reality has meaning only through the conscious mind. It's also when you judge person by results regardless of your relation to the people involve.

Non-rationalism - involves the belief in the supremacy of nature and forces outside one's self like the belief in ghosts, spirits, gods or deities and other supernatural beings.

Rationalism - the theory that reason rather than experience is the foundation of certainty in knowledge.

Norms - standards of proper or acceptable behavior (role).

Values - major influence on a person's behavior and attitude and serve as broad guidelines in all situations.

Sanctions - a threatened penalty for disobeying a law or rule.

Subculture - is a group of people within a culture that differentiates itself from the parent culture to which it belongs, often maintaining some of its founding principles.

Folkways - the traditional behavior or way of life of a particular community or group of people.

Mores - the traditional customs and ways of behaving that are typical of a particular society.

Laws - is a system of rules that are created and enforced through social or governmental institutions to regulate behavior.

Institutions - a society or organization founded for a religious, educational, social, or similar purpose.

Primary group - is typically a small social group (small-scale society) whose members share close, personal, enduring relationships.

Social aggregate - is a collection of people who are in the same place at the same time, but who otherwise do not necessarily have anything in common, and who may not interact with each other.

Gesselschaft - social relations based on impersonal ties, as duty to a society or organization.

Bureaucracy - refers to both a body of non-elective government officials and an administrative policy-making group.

Cultural Integration - is a form of cultural exchange in which one group assumes the beliefs, practices and rituals of another group without sacrificing the characteristics of its own culture.

Cultural Shock - the feeling of disorientation experienced by someone who is suddenly subjected to an unfamiliar culture, way of life, or set of attitudes.

Assimilation - is a gradual process by which a person or group belonging to one culture adopts the practices of another, thereby becoming a member of that culture.

Discrimination - is an action or practice that excludes, disadvantages, or merely differentiates between individuals or groups of individuals on the basis of some ascribed or perceived trait, although the definition itself is subject to substantial debate.

Retribution - punishment inflicted on someone as vengeance for a wrong or criminal act.

Deterrence - the action of discouraging an action or event through instilling doubt or fear of the consequences.

Taboo - the prohibition of an action based on the belief that such behaviour is either too sacred and consecrated or too dangerous and accursed for ordinary individuals to undertake.

Anomie - a condition of instability resulting from a breakdown of standards and values or from a lack of purpose or ideals.

Deviance - an action or behavior that violates social norms, including a formally enacted rule (e.g., crime), as well as informal violations of social norms (e.g., rejecting folkways and mores).

Social stratification - refers to a system by which a society ranks categories of people in a hierarchy.

Social mobility - is defined as the movement of individuals, families, households, or other categories of people within or between layers or tiers in an open system.

Ethnic Cleansing - the mass expulsion or killing of members of an unwanted ethnic or religious group in a society.

Racial Prejudice - is a negative attitude towards a group of people based on race— not on direct knowledge or experience.

Exchange Theory – work should be rewarded.

Applied Sociology – for social change, the area of sociology that can be advanced so that it is not merely for speculative thinking of theories and methods.

Caste System - Caste is a form of social stratification characterized by endogamy, hereditary transmission of a lifestyle which often includes an occupation, status in a hierarchy, and customary social interaction and exclusion.

Horizontal mobility - refers to switching from one position to another without a change in social status.

Bourgeoisie – (Karl Marx) the capitalist class who own most of society's wealth and means of production.

Proletariat - (Karl Marx) is the social class that does not have ownership of the means of production and whose only means of subsistence is to sell their labor power for a wage or salary.

Brain Drain - the emigration of highly trained or intelligent people from a particular country.

Ethnic Diversity - relating to or characteristic of a human group having racial, religious, linguistic, and certain other traits in common.