Rodeo

I've been barrel racing for nine years. I've made it to nationals five times, this year will be my sixth. I've never won anything, but I'm hoping to change that this year. I've been practicing a ton, and unfortunately neglecting my boyfriend, Ashley. The rodeo is in 3 days, and we have to leave tomorrow for the drive to Vegas. 

"I'm going to go riding," I tell him, putting on my boots. 

"Let me come with you. Let's just go riding for fun. You've been training so hard," he says. I sigh, thinking about it for a moment. "Plus, I think Pegasus would like to see the trails again."

He's right. My horse, Pegasus, has been in the arena every day for the past 2 weeks, and we haven't done anything fun. We have acres of trails on our ranch that we haven't been using. I've just been too focused, and Ashley doesn't want to go riding alone, even though we have 5 horses.

"Okay. Who do you want to ride?" I ask. "I'll get him out of the pasture for you."

"Chrome. I can get him," he smiles. Chrome has been his baby since we got him last month. He's still got a lot of work to go before he can be used in shows or lessons, but Ash is a good enough rider that he basically has him under control. Ashley puts on his riding boots and joins me in going out to the barn. I can see Pegasus grazing next to one of our other horses, Echo. My light grey horse stands out beside her dark black best friend. I grab her halter out of the barn and Ashley grabs Chrome's. Chrome is right in the front of the pasture, watching us intently. He misses Ash, I can tell by his loud greeting. "I'm coming, boy!" Ash laughs. The gelding throws his head and begins trotting over to his master. I smile. They have the best bond ever. I start walking over to Pegasus.

"Come on, baby! We're gonna have some fun today," I tell her. She looks up at me and then begins walking over to me. I slip the halter over her head and begin bringing my mare to the barn. Ash has already begun grooming Chrome, and I put Pegasus next to him. As we're brushing horses, Ashley begins to talk to me.

"Are you nervous about the rodeo?" he asks.

"Not nervous, just focused. I want to win pretty badly," I admit. 

"You'll do fine. This has been your best season yet. You haven't come in second yet, (Y/N)."

"This is a national competition. I'm up against the best. They have actual trainers. I'm working by myself," I say.

"Which is why you'll do better. You've been working harder and spending less money," he smiles at me from over Chrome's back. I can't help but smile back at him. Maybe I do need to relax. I finish brushing Pegasus and go into the tack room to grab her saddle blankets and saddle. Pegasus turns to look at me, and snorts happily when she sees it's the trail saddle, not the training saddle. I giggle at her, and gently place the tack on her back. 

Once our horses are all tacked up, we lead them out of the barn before mounting. I let Ashley lead the way to the trails. Chrome is clearly excited to get into the woods. I always forget how beautiful it is, and I realize how much I've missed it. 

"You okay, babe?" Ashley asks me, twisting around so he can see me. "You're quiet."

"I'm good, I just forget how beautiful everything is. I've been staring at barrels for too long," I say.

"You're going to do great tomorrow. You and Pegasus know each other really well. She knows the pattern better than you do, and she'll be fine even if you drop the reins or something," he assures me. He's right. Pegasus is the smartest horse I've ever met. She could run the pattern without me. "And besides, I'll be right there beside you. I'm your personal assistant." His comment makes me smile. He's always been there for me, cheering me on. He doesn't even sit in the stands, he makes sure he's watching at the side of the arena.