Betty - Impossible

Beautiful blonde hair, perfect eyes, girl next door. Those were just a few ways to describe the girl you admired deeply, Betty Cooper. The only thing keeping you from running up and spilling all of your true feelings to her right here in the middle of the Riverdale High cafeteria? She was straight.

Straight as an arrow, really! Betty and Jughead were Riverdale's favorite couple. In all ways they were absolutely perfect for each other. Everyone rooted for them. With the exception of one person, of course.

You nearly dip your nugget into your yogurt while ogling at Betty Cooper. You conjure up fantasies about what life would be like as a couple. It wouldn't be all easy, but it would be worth it. To kiss her and hold her when she's sad.

"Chicken nuggets and yogurt? Weird food combination." Your best friend and confidant, Kevin Keller, jokes before sitting down across from you. You sigh, coming back to reality, and lazily drop the nugget back on your plate.

"Kev, this is getting to be too much." You run a hand through your y/h/c hair and rest your chin in the palm of your hand.

"What?" Seconds later he realizes what you're talking about and his eyes widen with realization. "You mean..." he trails off, not wanting to say it out loud. He knows you would kill him if the secret got out.

"Right.....you know.." his voice goes a few octaves higher, telling you he's about to ensue something. "If Betty and Jughead just, I don't know, happen to break up she would need a special friend." Kevin hints. You roll your eyes and take a sip of your water.

"Enough about me. How about you and Joaquin?" You change the subject.

"We're doing great actually and now that you ask.." He trails off, the same realization as before returning in his green eyes. "No! I know what you're trying to do here! Back to you and Betty." He demands. As much as you hate to admit, Betty's name next to yours makes your heart flutter.

"What about us?" You tone comes off as uninterested and you carelessly pick at your food.

"That's it! I'm not beating around the bush anymore Y/N! You love Betty!" He whisper shouts. Now, your eyes widen and you immediately cover his mouth with your hand.

"Kevin! What the hell, someone could've heard you!" You whisper shout back, slowly uncovering his mouth after looking around and seeing everyone around you normally eating and talking.

"It's time to come to terms with the facts Y/N. It's also time to come to terms with your emotions." Here comes sappy Kevin..

"You know how Joaquin and I got together?" He doesn't wait for your response and instead delves into the story like your elderly grandmother would have. "I came to terms with my feelings and despite him being a Serpent and I, a proud northsider, I swallowed my fear and approached him at the drive-in. And well," he scoffs, "everyone knows what happened after my confession." He smirks, fondly remembering that night.

You sigh as you realize he's right. You would never know if you had a chance with Betty if you didn't at least tell her, what if you went your whole life without knowing? Isn't it just better to know how she feels instead of you wishing for something that'll never come on its own?

"It's just feels...impossible." You mutter, to embarrassed to even look at him.

"Trust me on this one, Y/N." He assures you. Little did you both know, Kevin wasn't as discreet as you both had previously assumed. A nosy red-head was listening in the whole time.

***

Today's the day. She's alone, no one around. You see her blonde ponytail wavering slightly as she types on her laptop in the room she and Jughead usually write the Blue and Gold in. Yesterday, Kevin had somehow encouraged you to confess your feelings to Betty and standing here with clammy hands, well you honestly don't know how he managed the impossible task.

You got this Y/N. Worst that could happen is she is completely disgusted by you and never wants to speak or look at you again. Wait, that sounds horrible. No, no it'll be fine. Maybe in some parallel universe she's struggling like you used too, forcing herself to date boys for her parents to make them happy because if they knew they would disown her if they ever found out she even thought about that kind of stuff. And now your rambling in your own head..

Developing a headache from your nervous subconscious, you decide to turn off your thoughts. At least your rational ones anyway.

You take a large deep breath and take a step towards the closed door separating you and Betty Cooper. Just as you go to reach for the handle, your phone buzzes in the small pocket of your jeans. Looking around, you notice not just yours, but everyone else's phones going off in the hallway. There's indistinct murmuring and then fingers pointing. Fingers pointing at you.

You scramble to grab your phone and unlock it. What you see might just be your worst nightmare.

Shoutout time fellow peers! A little birdie told me that Y/N likes our very own Betty Cooper! Okay, okay so I might've overheard that but that doesn't change the facts. Kisses! -Cheryl Blossom

You feel sick to your stomach and read over the words on your tiny phone screen until they become blurry. Everyone has seen this by now. Everyone....oh my god.

You snap your head up to look at where Betty was sitting and find her staring at you with her mouth parted slightly, most likely in shock, and her phone laying in her hand.

"No." You mutter before somehow finding the energy to run down the halls and into the safety of the bathroom. You immediately see your reflection in the mirror. Your face is pale, eyes filled with embarrassment, shock, and most of all horror. You bite your lip to stop the urge to scream and grip the roots of your hair while big tears stream down your face.

Not able to look at yourself having a mental breakdown, you slide your back down the wall and cry into your knees. How did this happen? You were so close and...

Suddenly the door opens and your head shoots up. At this point you don't know if you can handle anymore of this. You might just explode.

"Betty." Her name escapes your lips without your consent. She shuts the door and walks over to you.

"Y/N, I had...no idea." She twirls her thumbs and you can tell she's nervous. She's nervous?

"This must be horrible for you, I'm so sorry. I should've told you sooner, before the whole school knew." You manage to form a coherent sentence between your sobs.

Her soft hand is placed on your cheek, lifting your eyes to meet hers.

"You're great Y/N. And if I'm being completely honest here, I've had my eye on you for awhile too." What? There's no way.

"You're just saying that. I know you and Jughead-"

"Jughead and I are actually thinking we should just stay friends. It's taken some time but I think I might be bisexual."

"Really?" Hope gushes from your tone. She nods with that classic smile you've grown to love.

"Do you think.." You start nervously.

"We could try this out?" Betty finishes for you. You nod trying to bite back the biggest smile ever. She stands up and holds her hand out for you to take.

"Then lets try it out." She says, taking your hand in hers and confidently walking out of the bathroom. Everyone's eyes immediately land on the two of you and for once, you don't care. Maybe the universe you live in could be parallel after all.