10: The Inevitable

Start from the beginning

Upon further examination, she noticed the ebony door slightly ajar. She could hear two voices in the room, one of which she didn't recognize. Peaking through the door she saw Noctis and...a girl? They talked as if they knew each other. 'This...this is,' she knew who this girl was but for some reason, she felt her chest tighten watching the two laugh with one another. Noctis called her 'Luna', which was odd too (Yn) since she knew her real name. She put the pieces together as her wide eye lid's lowered.

(Yn) was told of her friend's arrangement since the day she began to train, just as she has been told of her own. She turned around flower still in hand and went back in the direction she came from. Macko still rooted in his place head turning back and forth between the door and his small master. He finally heaved a silent sigh understanding the current situation and began to follow after her. They left the palace quietly to their home next to it.

"So... you wanna get some food?" He spoke looking up to her in an attempt to lighten the mood. (Yn) had a faraway look in her eye's, her face held no emotion. Braking from her daze she turned to Macko a small smile on her lips,

"Yeah."

**End of flash back**

Lunafreya gently smiled to (Yn) her voice matching her appearance, " It is a pleasure to meet you." (Yn) bowed once more, " The pleasure is mine, M'lady."

It was at that moment Maximus spoke up, "M'lady this is my second in command and daughter, (Yn) Lennox and Macko. They are the prince's retainers, his shadow that will take my place." He finished with pride, this made Luna smile as she looked to the ones who would be guarding her and her soon to be husband in the near future. "I look forward to serving you and all of Insomnia and I'm prepared to give my life you and the crown." (Yn) finished with a smile, but little did they know it was forced.

//Time Skip, later that day//

// Reader Pov//

Macko and I began to put away the training gear as I replayed today's events in my head. When thinking back to the days Noc and I would have together as younger kids, my mind would return to the memory of seeing him and Luna interact with one another. It wasn't the first time I had seen them play and talk which, would only cause my to heart clench harder.

'Why?'

There was no point, no logical explanation as to why this sense of pain would wash over me thinking of the pair.

Putting away the last wooden sword, footsteps broke my swarming thoughts, "Are you done for the day?" Slinging my bag over my shoulder I turned to the person, "Yes sir." He nodded as he pet Macko's head before saying, "Walk with me (Yn), Macko return home it will just be a minute." Said wolf gave a short nod leaving us to ourselves.

We began to walk along the broad palace walls in silence until I finally asked, "Father is everything alright?" He stopped walking looking to the setting sun. I followed his gaze remaining quiet. "(Yn)...Do you know what your purpose in this life is?" I looked back to him with confusion, "Yes, I am here to protect Insomnia, it's people, and above all the royal family as his majesty's shadow." He hummed in response keeping his eye's on the fading light, "Then you understand your place?"

Where was he getting at? Of course, I knew my place so why was he asking? He must have caught onto my confusion because he turned to me face serious but also bittersweet. "Tell me, what do you feel when you are around the prince?" This was a surprise, no one has ever asked that before except Macko, but even then it was harmless teasing but this, this was serious. I cleared my throat, "What do you mean-," I was cut off by my father's stern tone, "Don't. Just don't." We were both quite, he looked deeply into my eye's, "I've seen the way you look at him. Do not deny it."

My eye's widened before lowering them to the ground. It was true, all this time I have been dismissing them. My feelings, thoughts, dreams. I was afraid of this, someone noticing, especially if that someone was my father. Fear and worry began to fill me. I refrained from trembling. My father saw right through me and now it was my turn to speak, but what was there to say?

He sighed as he gave a pained look, "This is why I wanted you to meet him when you were much older..." he finished while looking away. Silence joined us once more.

It was then at that moment I made the biggest decision of my life.

"This is just a faze I assure you, father, that this will pass. I will never step over our boundaries." Bowing to him, "I have duties just as he has his own, we will be nothing more than king and servant. I give you my word." I heard the shifting of feet and looked up to him. My face stoic and ridden of emotion showing my sincerity.

He nodded as he turned to leave, me following after. I began to think about what must be done from now on.

I understood from the very beginning, my purpose in this life. It was inevitable, Noctis will marry Luna.

Therefore I must protect them and our people. Even if it pains me, I will ignore it in order to be strong for them because their lives are worth more than mine. One mere life for the good of many. After all, Servants can be replaced but not kings.

I chose my duty.