"Aw, you won't stand up for me if I get kicked out?" I punch him in the arm playfully.

"Maybe, maybe not."

"What kind of answer is that?"

"One of a kind." Luke winks and I laugh.

"So, Adelina Brown. Sophomore at NYU. Do you know why you're here?" Nate's voice makes us look back into the window.

Adelina gulps visibly. "Er, not exactly."

"Do you know anyone by the name Mikayla Henderson?"

"I do. She's my cousin, although we hardly ever talk about her."

"By we, who do you mean?"

"Well, she's my mom's sister's daughter. My aunt and my mom were never on good terms and so me and Mikayla don't talk much. Basically we pretend they don't exist. I didn't tell Lex because it just didn't seem important."

"She's your best friend, right?"

"So? There are a few things you don't tell to your best friends. Being best friends doesn't mean every aspect of my life applies to her. Is she listening to this?"

"Yeah, and I'm gonna hope she doesn't get offended by what you just said."

I don't think Adelina's gonna like Nate much after this.

"Lex wouldn't. I can assure you that. She'd understand."

I smile. "I do. Nate's just being a dick."

Luke chuckles. "But a professional one at that."

"So you don't know much about Mikayla? Do you know she has an older brother?"

"Well, that I do know. His name's Steve and he's an accountant for one of those big law firms in New York. My aunt and uncle's in Australia at the moment, according to my mom. Mikayla works at a coffee shop at night and is a supermarket cashier in the morning. She hasn't found a stable job yet."

"So is she desperate for money?" Nate questions, his face intent.

"I don't know."

"When was the last time you spoke to any of them?"

"Mikayla, a month ago. My aunt and uncle, maybe months? Half a year? I can't remember."

"When you last saw Mikayla, was she already working at a coffee shop?"

"Yes." Adelina nods, looking a lot more at ease than a few minutes ago. "Our parents might be enemies, but Mikayla and I are on civil terms. She loves her jobs."

"Has she ever mentioned someone named Kathryn Nevin?"

"You mean that girl who was murdered? No, but I know she's a prostitute."

"If I ask you to contact Mikayla, could you do that?"

Adelina hesistates. "I could, but my mom would be awfully angry if she finds out."

"Then she doesn't find out." Nate assures her.

"Fine, then. Are we done?"

"One more little question." Nate puts a drawing of a very familiar man in front of Adelina. "Do you recognize him?"

Short cropped hair, a beard and a distinct scar running down the left side of his face. Where have I seen him before? I rack my brain for answers but come up empty.

Luke nudges me. "You know him?"

I cock my head to one side. "I'm sure I've seen him before."

"He's the guy that broke into Haven Tavern."

My eyes widen. "Why didn't Nate say anything?"

"So you're sure you don't know him from anywhere?" Nate presses.

"No." Adelina says firmly. "I really don't."

Nate stands up. "Thank you for your cooperation."

"I think we should show that picture to my dad. He might recognize him." I tell Luke.

"But there's a problem. Your dad might get suspicious and find out you're here and that would be very problematic."

"Yeah." I agree half-heartedly.

I still think asking my dad would be a good idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: here's the next chapter! :) sorry if things are a little confusing but things will be cleared up better next chappie. it's gonna be full  of info and stuff :)

vote and comment! it's for the watty awards :)

xx

Emma