"I figured not."

     I stood on my tippy toes and pulled his head down to kiss him on the forehead. "Be careful," I told him.

     "I'll be fine. It's you I'm worried about. If I get into trouble, I blame you."

     I smiled. "I'll gladly take the blame."

     He kissed my forehead. "See you soon, kid."

     I boarded the train and waved at him. I pulled out my phone and messaged Claire because I know she'll go crazy.

To: Claire

I'm going to visit my parents. Don't worry, I'll be fine. I should be back in two days. Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone.

    I thought I sounded like a mother to her, but I know she wouldn't mind. She never knew her mother; she died during childbirth. I feel bad for her, but she holds up pretty well. I think it's because of the people she's around at school. The Professor is like a father to her. Better than Dunaway, in my opinion.

     I picture the Professor as my dad, too. He is a lot kinder than my dad, anyways. The Professor is always there for me when I need him. I question how he has time for everything that he does.

(X)

I arrived in my home town a few hours later. It was late that night, so I thought I'd stay in a hotel and meet my mother in the morning. I found out that she's living in the same house, and my father lives on the other side of town. I was both nervous and excited to see them.

     The next morning, I went to my mom's house. I rang the doorbell. Suddenly, I felt that I needed Logan to be with me.

      My mother opened the door. She looked exactly the same as when I left, but there was more gray in her hair. "Hello?"

     I smiled. "Mom?"

     "Andi?"

     I nodded. "It's me, Mom."

     She threw her arms around me. "Oh, Andi! I've missed you so much!" She started weeping. Well, sobbing, actually. "Come in, come, come."

     I came inside. The house looked and smelled the same. I sat down on the couch. "Would you like something to drink?"

     I shook my head. "No, thank you."

     She sat down on a recliner. "How have you been?"

     I sighed. "Where do I start? Ten years is a long time."

     "I've got time."

     "Could you call Dad to come?"

     She hesitated. "Of-of course."

     I waited until Dad came here. He hugged me, but I knew it wasn't the same loving hug my mother gave  me. He was still upset about the incident.

     I told them everything. It took two and a half hours, but I told them.

     "Casey died?" Dad asked, trembling.

     "He-he was killed. He was hurting me. He wouldn't stop. So my-my friend killed him."

     Mom covered her mouth.

    A little boy with dark hair like mine came in. He had glasses and a pale face. "Dad? I didn't think I was staying with you this weekend. Why are you here?"

     "Well, your mother called," Dad said.

     I stood up. I walked up to the little boy. "Hello. My name's Andi."