Chapter 6

I sit on my sofa waiting in anticipation of my father's arrival. I find myself priming and grooming myself by smoothing my hair and pulling on my dress.

The old habit and longing to have my father's approval resurfaces and I find myself feeling like a young girl again wanting to do anything to get praise from my father.

Just once I wish to have my father actually acknowledge my strengths instead of only seeing my short comings and in turn only give me polite recognition.

I silently pray tonight I will not see any traces of disgrace and shame with in his deep soil tinted eyes. I place my hands against my stomach trying to settle my anxiousness and the swarms of butterflies within. My ears perk at the sounds coming from the kitchen.

It seems I am not the only one who is nervous for my father's arrival but of course my mother would be just as nervous as I.

She has not seen my father just as long as I. I try to think back to when was the last time we saw my father.

I cannot really recall, but I do remember my mother saying she ran into him in the village when she was visiting Rose. She did not delve into any more detail than that and I assumed it was not something to press my mother further about.

I wonder if my mother is partly excited about seeing my father they are mates it would only be natural for her to wish to see him. Guilt ridden me suddenly I am the reason she does not get to see much of my father.

Then I think of the other reason and dread begins to fill me. Violet she is the other reason my mother keeps her distance and she as well as my half-brother Don and Dax will also will arrive with my father which is why I was suddenly hit with dread.

My memory floats back to what Dax had said to me.

"Don't think I don't know you lied, you better start behaving. This family can only take so much embarrassment from you and your mother."

The words still hold their power and sting when I replay them in my mind. But at the same time I feel rage bloom in my chest my mother has done nothing wrong and she is not the embarrassment to the family I am.

I was so angry that he had brought my mother up; he can say anything he wishes about me and my character but to lump my mother with me I wanted to growl and threaten him. But I know in my heart I would never have the gall to do such a thing.

I know he is not worth my thoughts and emotions and that I should just let it go but for the life of me I just cannot his words will not leave my head.

"Azalea wills you please help me prepare some tea your father and family they might want some?"

I hesitant hearing her voice falter on the word family. I have to do everything I possibly can to put my mother at ease I am not the only one suffering.

"Of course mother."

"Just be careful I do not want anything to ruin how beautiful you look tonight."

"Thank you mother I will be careful." I go to the kitchen and see my mother looking out of sorts she is rushing about trying to find the tea pot.

"Mother it is by the window seal." I point to the blue tea pot by the window it was my grandmother on my mother's side and mother cherishes it. She must want to make my father and everyone one feels welcome.

"Do you want me to make the tea?" I see my mother's hands shaking as she reaches for the tea pot.

"How about I make the tea and you get some scones out. Please mother I insist." I really do not want her to drop it, tonight needs to go smoothly for her.