For a moment, Marvel's dark eyes seem sympathetic. "Maybe not."

I knew that he isn't exactly the smartest person, but seriously? I raise an eyebrow. "Marvel, there's only one victor."

He just shrugs. I try not to slap him, so instead, I get up and walk to the washroom. I splash my face with cold water and place my hands on the counter. I take a deep breath and think to myself:

'I'm going to die.'

**********

It's the day of our evaluations. We are all gathered in a small room, waiting for our turn. Marvel, being the male tribute of District 1, is the first one to be called in. He is followed by Glimmer, and then it's my turn.

"Cato Hadley." The automated voice calls me in. The metal doors slide open. The training room is empty, but above me, in the viewing room, are the gamemakers. They are all looking at me intently.

I introduce myself. "Cato Hadley. District 2."

They nod, and I pick up a spear. I stand far away from the target dummy. I steady myself and then throw the spear. It goes through it's heart. Next, I pick up two swords. I stand amidst more dummies and begin to slash, and stab them. When I'm done, a few of the gamemakers clap politely.

Seneca Crane, the head gamemaker, tells me that I can leave. So I leave through another set of sliding metal doors, Absently, I think about how Clove is doing. She's probably showing them her knife-throwing. I remember that she nearly killed me during training once. I was standing much too close to a dummy. No, I'm not talking about Marvel.

Just a few minutes later, I stop in a hallway. I realize that I have no idea where I am. I can't see anyone, and there aren't any windows. For a moment, I have the crazy thought of hiding, so that they would have to replace me in the games. I won't have to see Clove die, or possibly kill her myself.

As the thought disappears, I hear footsteps come up behind me.

"Are you lost, kid?" It's Brutus. He smells vaguely of alcohol and smoke.

"I think so," I say.

He puts an arm around me and hauls me off to a completely different hallway. This one is a familiar hall. We walk down this everyday to get back to our room.

The second we get in, I see Clove, lounging on the sofa. She's playing with a small object. It's her district token. Mine was a small bird figurine given to me by my sister.

I sit down beside Clove and take the token from her. It's a pendant shaped like a peacock. I notice that it is attached to a necklace, which is hung around Clove's neck. I realize that I tugged her closer to me. It was an accident. Definitely an accident.

It's odd though. She doesn't seem too angry about it, only pries my fingers off her trinket. "My grandma gave that to me," she tells me.

Her face is less than a foot away from mine. "So I'd appreciate if you didn't try to break my neck with it." She slips the pendant back into her shirt.

"Sorry," I say.

"What's your token?"

I take it out of my pants pocket. I drop it in her hand, and for a moment, my hand brushes hers. I let my hand linger for a second before pulling it away.

She looks at it. "Who gave it to you?"

"My little sister."

I don't elaborate and she doesn't ask me anymore questions.

"Time to see your scores!" announces Rolt, strutting into the room. His hair is orange today. Still hideous.

Caesar Flickerman appears on our TV screen. He starts off with the District 1 tributes.

"Marvel, has a score of 9. Glimmer, with a score of 9."

I tense slightly. "District 2. Cato, with a score of 10." I relax. Rolt applauds, and even Brutus smiles. Clove claps me on the shoulder.

"Clove, has a score of 10, as well."

I smile at her, and she smiles back. "Not bad, Clover," I say.

"You too, Cato."

"Did you show them your knife-throwing?"

"Yeah. Did you show them your sword fighting?"

I am still smiling. "Of course."

Caesar's voice is still going on about the scores. "Katniss, with a score of...11."

"What?!" Mine and Clove's voice mix together. That girl got a higher score that us. She couldn't even throw a knife for her life. What could she have shown the Gamemakers?

A/N: Next chapter, the Games begin!