Chapter 5

I was dead for sure when it was eight o'clock. I had already snuck Joe out at the break of dawn so he wouldn't be caught and I got four hours of sleep in before my alarm went off at eight. I trudged tiredly down the stairs, my hair a complete mess, my eyes darkening underneath.

My mom started speaking as she heard me enter the kitchen but I didn't hear what she was saying as I sat down. All I could think about was how I was going to cope with today; with seeing Carter and having to deal with him. I had been avoiding thinking about today all day by reading, but now I knew I had to face up to the fact that I was going to be with him all day.

All day...

I swallowed hard but my mouth was completely dry, I couldn't even bring myself to speak. I stood up and went to the fridge, grabbing some water.

Out of nowhere I heard a gasp. "Samantha, what happened to you?" my mom asked with horror.

"Just tired," I yawned. "It took me forever to get a 'nice' outfit so you better be happy with it," I said as I went to the dining room where all the food was already laid out, waiting to be eaten.

"Samantha, I told you to go to bed early, not spend all morning looking for something to wear," she scolded.

"Well that's what I did. If you even care I left it on my bed so you know what I picked to wear."

"Now you look dead Samantha," she shook her head disapprovingly. "We're going to have to put some make-up on you."

"No," I refused. "I will not wear any make-up. It's about time I look how I feel."

"Because you feel dead?" she asked with a tone suggesting she didn't believe me.

"I have for a long time. Anyway, at least this way Carter might leave me alone."

"Leave you alone?" my mom perked up.

"Yeah, he keeps pestering me. I don't see why," I yawned again.

"Well why not?" my mom demanded.

I looked up at her. "He hadn't bothered to see how I was going for seven years and you really expect me to think he cares now?" I questioned, but she stayed silent. "Exactly, that's what I thought. Besides," I continued, waving my hand as if brushing something off. "He has a girlfriend, he should go bother her."

"So he's not allowed to like you because he's got a girlfriend?" my mom asked skeptically.

"Stop twisting my words mom, that's not what I said. And if he liked me in that way, I would kill him. I don't like guys who are two-faced," I said darkly.

"Whatever honey, I only have one request of you for tonight anyway," she changed the subject.

"Oh?"

"Yes, please refrain from calling Juliette Mrs. Brown and Mark Mr. Brown. I think it offends them."

"Really, it offends them? Well it's not my fault they became complete strangers, they shouldn't expect anything else," I said stubbornly.

"But Samantha, they're friends."

"They're no friends of mine." I took a cube of watermelon and shoved it in my mouth to show her I wasn't going to discuss the matter any further. In turn she just shook her head at me and rolled her eyes.

"Be ready by nine." I nodded and ate until I had had enough. I got changed into some baggy yellow skinny jeans, a loose white shirt and then wore my yellow vans. I rubbed sunscreen lotion all over myself so I would be protected from the sun, brushed my hair and then waited outside on the front steps of our house for my mom."