A Date to Remember

Start from the beginning

She's cute, and she's related to Seaton, but she's a little spoiled brat with a father that Seaton hates (for a reason I still don't know, damn it) and she takes up some of his attention. I hate it when I see her sitting on his lap. It annoys me, because I want to be that close to him, and it's not fair that a little girl gets it and not me. I'm sure that's selfish, but it's true. I want that.

She's also taken to calling me 'J.J.' which is just... weird... Not even Linda calls me that and she's the queen of nicknames. She told me to call her 'C.C.' because now we were gonna be bestest friends.

Ha. Right.

"What movie do you want to watch?" Seaton asks, pointing to three new movies on the coffee table that he got from Blockbuster that day. He has new ones every other way. Sometimes more often. He always asks me, even though I don't really care. I've tried to tell him I don't mind, whatever movie he wants, but he just glares at me and says 'choose one, brat'.

Truth be told, I'd rather be looking at his paintings. I still haven't found the other ones of me. I pick a movie randomly and put it in the DVD play, and then just sit on the couch.

He comes over to sit next to me, only a foot away.

I can't concentrate on the movie anymore.

-

At almost the end of my work day, when I return from seating one of the customers, I come back to my podium and see Corin standing there with a smile on his face. That wouldn't be so weird; Suki, Linda and Corin had dropped in on my work to visit me and eat dinner a couple of other times, but it is strange this time because Suki and Linda aren't with him. Instead, Corin is standing with a guy I've never seen before.

"Hey, Jayden!" Corin says happily, and I just nod a little, "This is Garrett, Garrett, this is Jayden. The most adorable friend I have."

"Hey there, Jayden," the man named Garrett smiles at me and holds out his hand. I take it. He's got big, rough hands that suggest he works with them a lot. He's a good looking guy with light brown hair and hazel eyes, about six foot tall, and about Corin's age, maybe a bit younger. He's got a deep voice.

"Um –hi," I say, and let go of his hand. Are they, like... on a date?

"Garrett's a guy I met a few days ago at Haze," Corin explains. Haze is a local gay bar. Why would Corin say 'friend' if they're on a date? Garrett doesn't seem insulted by it though...

"So –er –just you two?" I ask, picking up two menus off the table and turn back to them. Corin's holding back sniggers as he laughs.

"When do you get off, Jay?" Corin asks me, and I blink as I lead them to the table.

"Um... about five minutes," I reply, leading them to a booth in the back. Corin likes the back better, he always says so. "Why?"

"Oh god, isn't he just the cutest, Garrett?" Corin says as he prods Garrett into the seat, but doesn't take one himself, even after I put the menus down. "He doesn't even get that this is a set up..."

"Wh –What?" I stammer and Corin just grinned almost maniacally.

"I'm setting you up on a date with Garrett!" Corin beams at me and I –what? You have –you have got to be kidding me.

"I –I –you –wh-what?" I manage again, unbelievingly. I look at Garrett, who's looking at me and smiling softly, almost patiently. I mean –god, what?

"I'm. Setting. You. Up. On. A. Date," Corin says slowly, "With this gorgeous guy over here."

"Um –but –I don't –"