Chapter Twenty Four: The Proposal

The sound of a crackling fire breaks through the darkness. Sera awakens from the deepest, dreamless sleep of her life in an unfamiliar bedroom. Her hand flies immediately to her chest. Her pendant has returned to its rightful spot.

Confused, she takes a glance around. She's lying in a huge four-poster mahogany bed. White linens drape across the top. Directly across from her is a fireplace with a huge stone mantle. Situated above the mantle is a three-pronged sword of some kind. It shines as the flicker of the fire reaches it. Beside the fire is a wall of bookshelves and another chair like the one in Jack's coffee shop. Next to the bed, Sera finds her reflection in the mirror of a vanity desk. Geez, she looks... exhausted. From the wood exposed interior and the poignant smell of pine. She can only be in one place—Nate's house.

As if reading her mind, the door opens. In walks Nate, shirtless, tall, perfect. He's very well built—to put it mildly. His jeans hang low, exposing the curve of his hipbone. The image makes her bite her bottom lip. She barely notices the steaming cup of something between his hands because of his half-naked distraction. Then she notices that on his shoulder he has a bandage.

She sits up against the headboard, "You're hurt."

"I'm the one that should be asking if you're okay."

Sera rubs her forehead, "Yeah, what happened?"

"I was hoping you could tell me." He takes a seat on the edge of the bed and hands her the cup.

"I don't know," she states taking the cup from him. "My body just reacted."

Nate turns serious, "I've never seen someone use so much... power."

"Never? But, I saw it in my dream."

"What exactly do you dream about, Sera?"

"Just dream stuff. You're there, usually."

"I need specifics. Do you dream about Angels and Demons?"

"Yes, sometimes."

"And what you did, you saw that in your dreams as well?"

"Yes. Nate, I think my dreams are more than they seem."

"I was thinking the exact same thing." His hand reaches for her open one. It's still warm from the cup he was just holding. The touch warms Sera from the inside out. "Will you tell me about them?"

I nod, "Every night, since I was about eighteen, I've been having these vivid dreams. You have become like a reoccurring character in all of them." Sera begins to blush as she tells him, "It came to the point where I would just begin to search the dream for you. At some point, I would always find you."

That brings a smile to his face as well, "And, there were Demons?"

"Sometimes. In one they chased me, in others it was you with... wings."

He flinches almost like she touched upon a subject she wasn't supposed to. "I have something to tell you, Sera."

"Wait, I'm not finished."

He nods for her to continue. "These dreams showed me how to use that power. What can that mean?"

"The dreams showed you what to do?"

"Yes, only it was you glowing—not me."

"I have to tell you," he glances down at our hands, "I've never seen anyone in Heaven or Earth, do what you just did."

"Seriously?" Sera pulls her hands back, alarmed.

"Yes." His eyes are kind, allowing for her to pry farther.