nineteen

' i'm not saying you should, you're really cautious and shit.

i'm quite the opposite, just like it's, so, exactly. . .

last forever is ridiculous, you think?

i think that's ridiculous.

you think that's ridiculous?

yeah, of course. everything is over. '

-forever//over, EDEN

ASHLEY ALMOST slammed into one of the lockers, her breathing fast.

She was walking so quickly she had almost tripped twice, heading towards the nearest exit, knowing in her mind that Spencer had the power to kill.

She kept picturing his face, his twisted grin as he had wished her good luck, and then sinking back to the floor.

Spencer wishing her good luck was not a good thing.

Her fucking up things with Richie was not a good thing.

Being scared shitless was not a good thing.

She raked her hands through her hair, sucking in another breath of air. Just a few more minutes and she would be out of here, and somehow she could find Richie and apologize to him and make things right.

As she neared the door to the outside, a wave of relief washed over her. This nightmare was over.

Walking towards it, she pushed on the release handle and waited for the click that announced the door would open.

Except. . .it didn't.

Bewildered, she looked down to see if something was stuck in it, when she noticed a chain as big as her fist twisted around the door, and she felt as if an ice cube had slipped down her throat.

He had chained the doors.

Ash spun around, putting her hand to her temple and trying to think. He had to leave one unlocked so he could slip in and out easily. It was what she would have done.

Her eyes snapped open. The east wing door. It was nearest to the parking lot, but not so noticeable that he would be spotted if he tried to leave quickly.

She speed-walked her way towards it, flinching at every long shadow, and holding her breath at every sound, fearing Spencer was somewhere near by.

She hadn't walked very far when a guttural sound, not quite laughter, rolled out of the tunnel of darkness ahead of her.

"Well, well, what do we have here?" Spencer said. There was no face attached to his voice.

Ash let out a whimper, taking a step backwards and saying shakily, "I'll call the police! I know where a phone is!"

That was a lie.

"It will take the police at least twenty minutes to respond." His footsteps tapped closer. "I don't need twenty minutes."

Ash turned and bolted in the other direction. Spencer broke into a run behind her.

She skidded past classrooms and more lockers and teacher's facilities and her eyes spotted the huge gym doors.

She veered, taking a sharp right, and slammed into the doors, looking wildly around for somewhere to hide.

Her eyes fell on the girls locker room door.