four

RICHIE SAT down at the lunch table, his tray clattering as he avoided the others gazes.

Ash unfortunately wasn't there yet; and he noticed with a jolt, that neither was Mike (although Dustin, Lucas, and Will were).

"Hey, Rich." Eddie's voice came from to his right, and Richie didn't answer, stabbing a piece of food with his fork in response.

He was most angry with Eddie right now, trying to tell him what to do and turning his back on him.

"Um, how you doing?" His soft voice said, and Richie clenched his fork tighter before snapping sarcastically, "Absolutely fantastic, Kaspbrak."

Eddie flinched and withdrew as Richie glared down at his tray, ignoring the glances Will, Dustin and Lucas all exchanged.

He looked up as he heard Ash's voice say, "Rich!"

"Hey, beautiful!" He said, immediately feeling a bit better as she neared him, her long legs slipping underneath the table as she sat across from him.

A few seconds later, he felt like shit again. Mike was setting his tray down directly next to Ash's, settling himself beside her.

"Oh my God, Ash," He said enthusiastically, and she turned to him.

Mike's eyes flicked to Richie and back and then he put an arm around her shoulders, saying, "You have to tell Richie what happened last period!"

If Ash thought him putting an arm around her was weird, she didn't show it as her eyes lit up and she looked at Richie, grinning.

"Oh God, Rich, I thought I was going to die!" She said.

"Why?" He asked, and looked back down at his plate, suddenly feeling like he didn't want her there after all.

"Cause Mike and I have the same–"

"Why does this interest me?" Richie asked hotly, slamming his silverware onto the table, and jerking his head up to face her.

She blinked. "What?"

Eddie shot him an anxious glance, which Richie determinedly ignored, as well as the hiss of, "Richie." that was said in an undertone by Bill.

"I mean," He said, running his fingers through his hair. "That I really don't care, Ashley."

She flinched, and Mike stared at him, blurting out, "What did you call her?"

"Shit." Dustin whispered under his breath, and Richie's eyes flew to him.

"I called her Ashley. That's her name." He said icily, and Mike said, "Yeah but. . . you've never called her that."

"And its really none of your fucking business!" Richie shot, and Ash said, "Richie, wait, what's wrong? Did something ha–"

"No!" Richie exclaimed, his cheeks coloring. "If you want to know if something happened, just ask these dipshits!"

He sent a glare towards Bill, Stan, Ben, and Eddie, who all seemed to shrink.

"They're gonna tell you anyway!" Richie continued, and Ash's eyes widened.

"Oh, God, Rich no– that's not–" She reached towards his hand but he jerked away from her, yanking his sweatshirt sleeves down farther until they covered his hands.

"What, you want to remind me of how fucked up me and my life are, Brenner?" He snapped, and Ash swallowed around the lump in her throat, tears gently pricking at the backs of her eyes.

"Woah, dude, calm down." Mike said, and Richie noticed his hand gently rubbing Ash's shoulder, and he seethed.

"Shut up!" He said angrily, and he felt soft, nimble hands close around his wrist and tug gently on his arm.

"Rich—" Eddie's voice was barely a murmur, and Richie yanked his arm from Eddie's grasp as though it was poison.

"Richie!" Eddie said, terrified he was going to go into a rage; right here in the cafeteria, right in front of Ash.

He had to get him away from them all.

"Fuck off!" Richie said, shoving his chair back with a screeech.

"No– Richie!" Eddie said in a loud voice, but Richie had already started to walk away.

Ash moved to stand from the table, but Eddie held up a hand. "I'll get him."

Ash hesitated, and then slowly sat back down, worry lines creasing her forehead as Eddie moved to follow Richie, twisting his fingers together as he weaved through the crowd.

He caught sight of Richie disappearing out of the school, and heaved a sigh, resigning himself to following him.

Richie angrily yanked a cigarette from his pocket, lighting it up and taking a drag, fuming.

A few seconds later, the door swung open and Richie looked up.

Eddie stepped hesitantly outside, his hair messy and his eyes crinkled with worry and Richie snapped, "What the hell do you want?"

"I came to check on you." Eddie stated, and the door shut behind him with a soft thud.

"Yeah, well I don't need you to check up me." Richie said, blowing out another puff of smoke and Eddie, growing frustrated with his attitude, reached out and plucked it from his fingers.

"What the fuck!?" Richie said loudly, and Eddie rolled his eyes, dropping the cigarette to the sidewalk and crushing it with his shoe.

"What the hell is your problem!?" Richie exclaimed and Eddie said furiously, "My problem is that you act like a dick to your girlfriend when she did absolutely nothing to you!"

Richie narrowed his eyes into slits. "She didn't do anything to me!? She was letting Wheeler hang all over her–"

"And we both know," Eddie growled. "That it's because of her situation where she 'sees the best in everyone.' You don't have to explain it to me, Tozier, we all saw what trouble it got her into in 9th grade. You both nearly died."

"Gee, really?" Richie said sarcastically. "I had no idea, because I obviously wasn't there myself!"

"But even though that happened, you can't blame her for what happened these past three years with you!" Eddie shouted.

Richie felt his blood boil up, and he spat, "And you all act like you can fucking tell her about what I went through and how I slit my wrists and shit, whatever!"

Eddie opened his mouth to snap back, but Richie yelled, "Well, when I want relationship advice from a fucking faggot I'll motherfucking ask for it!"

There was a dead silence as Eddie stood in stunned shock, staring at his best friend, who's face had paled.

Something had broken between them.

"Well, if that's how you feel, Trashmouth," Eddie said, his voice deadly. "Then I guess you won't have to fucking deal with me. Like you want."

His mouth twitched into a twisted smile, and he said, his voice steely, "Thanks for letting me know."

And before Richie could say anything, Eddie had turned and stormed into the school; and for the first time, didn't pick up Richie's pieces.

oh damn sorry this took so long! we're actually heading back home from our grandparents (we went for christmas) and it was kind of hard to write while i was there! but here's this for you guys, leave some votes and comments for me (can't wait to read them!)